what do you use for water storage?

Am00re34

I have a 90g that i am building a "equipment" room for. I want to get two water storage containers (one for top off water and other for salt mix) that are between 30-50g.
I was thinking of put them up a little so i can use gravity to feed my sump. If possible i would stack them (with a frame between so they are not directly on each other)to save space.

any suggestions?

Am00re34

ok... I was thinking of using that too. where did you get it and how much?
I am using something similar for my fuge, but its a 24g unit.

oldsaltman

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14129422#post14129422 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 91yota
44g rubbermaid brute... ive got 2 of them... one of my better tank purchases

I have two of these too. I can't remember if they are 32g or 44g.

RussM

Stacked 30g drums... upper is RO/DI, bottom is saltwater. A Rio2500 inside the lower drum pumps out SW as needed. A Seio 820 (with a DIY mag-mount) also in the lower drum helps with mixing.

h20mix.jpg

bradbmbj

usplastics.com has them, and the shipping isnt to bad either. They even have different colors, I am about to order two white 44 gallons.

Am00re34

the rubbermaid bins are circle (at least the ones i can find locally). How easy and safe is it to put a bulkhead on a round container?

Am00re34

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14129565#post14129565 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oldsaltman
I have two of these too. I can't remember if they are 32g or 44g.

How well do those work? I went to Home Depot and looked at them and they dont seem that heavy duty. I think they will bow when you fill them with water. Or do you only fill 1/2 way?

Am00re34

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14131519#post14131519 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oldsaltman
I just use DIY bulkheads and never had a leak.

115850Brute.JPG

can you get a pic showing your bulkheads? I'm sure if you tighten them enough it will be fine, but when it comes to water i get nervous!

waxy

In Memoriam
Home Depot has the Brutes for 30-50 bucks each. Depending on the size you get.

32 or 44, there's also a 55 I think it was.

I purchased 2 myself, on top of the wheels. Well worth the investmen when you have gallons of water sitting in there.

I have 1 brute with Fresh RO water, another with Mixed Saltwater. Looking to buy another for Seawater that I remove for water changes. Never know when you will need it.

Don't get the 10 dollar rubbermaids. The bottom cracks over a span of 2-3 months if you consistantly have water in it. I 've been there an done that!

Am00re34

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14139244#post14139244 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by waxy
Home Depot has the Brutes for 30-50 bucks each. Depending on the size you get.

32 or 44, there's also a 55 I think it was.

I purchased 2 myself, on top of the wheels. Well worth the investmen when you have gallons of water sitting in there.

I have 1 brute with Fresh RO water, another with Mixed Saltwater. Looking to buy another for Seawater that I remove for water changes. Never know when you will need it.

Don't get the 10 dollar rubbermaids. The bottom cracks over a span of 2-3 months if you consistantly have water in it. I 've been there an done that!

when you use the bins w/ wheels i would be worried about the wheels busting... Has that ever been an issue? It would be nice to be able to move them around.

oldsaltman

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14138429#post14138429 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Am00re34
can you get a pic showing your bulkheads? I'm sure if you tighten them enough it will be fine, but when it comes to water i get nervous!

I have had them full many times, but they normally are only about 3/4 full. They are very strong and don't bow any. I will try to get closer photos of the bulkheads, but they are just the grey electrical PVC fittings with rubber washers on them. The gray fittings are stright threads and don't taper like the white.

DeathWish302

Clown Hoarder
Brute here too. Their NSF grade, and don't have the funky plastic smell like many other containers. Lowe's is the best bet due to S&H. Really Brute is the best bang for the buck unless you have a connection that can get you used poly drums that have not had nasties in it.

DW302