What Feed Pump Do You Use On Your Calcium Reactor Setup?

TH3C1SC0K1D

I am currently in the process of finalizing the setup of my My Reef Creations MR2 Dual Chamber Calcium Reactor. I am currently using a Marineland Nazi-Jet Pump to feed the reactor water from my sump. However, it appears that the back pressure is to great and it is causing the pumps impellar to make a lot of noise. For that reason I would like to upgrade the feed pump as the aquarium is in my bedroom. What pump do you use on your Calcium Reactor setup? What are the pros and cons of using it? Thank you in advance for the information.

are you using a new "black" maxi-jet pumpe?

i use a older grey model (before they came out with the additional prop) and its dead silent on my MRC CR-6

A separate pump just to feed a ca reactor is a waste. The use such a micro amount of water, tap into the return line to the main display and that can be your feed.

Reply to Dahenley.

Reply to Dahenley.

are you using a new "black" maxi-jet pumpe?

i use a older grey model (before they came out with the additional prop) and its dead silent on my MRC CR-6

Yes, I am I don't think the new ones are the greatest things in the world. I have hard starting problems with it as a powerhead in the past. I just have it laying around and I'm using it until I get something new.

Cole-Parmer Masterflex Digital Peristaltic Dosing pump w/ two easyload 2 heads.

Pros
-Unmatched Reliability
-Unmatched Consistency
-Unmatched Adjustability
-No needle valve on reactor to constantly adjust.

Cons
-Cost
-Tubing needs changing on occasion

I have the same reactor and run this pump along with an aquariumplants.com electronic regulator. For the last few years all I have had to do is clean the reactor, replace media, and turn it up as the tanks demand increases.

IME it is hands down the best setup you can run. My controller is just used as a safety but it never turns the reactor off. The setup is 100% consistent.

I have had horrible luck running reactors off the return pump. The needle valve always need adjusting or gets clogged.

Cole-Parmer Masterflex Digital Peristaltic Dosing pump w/ two easyload 2 heads.

Pros
-Unmatched Reliability
-Unmatched Consistency
-Unmatched Adjustability
-No needle valve on reactor to constantly adjust.

Cons
-Cost
-Tubing needs changing on occasion

I have the same reactor and run this pump along with an aquariumplants.com electronic regulator. For the last few years all I have had to do is clean the reactor, replace media, and turn it up as the tanks demand increases.

IME it is hands down the best setup you can run. My controller is just used as a safety but it never turns the reactor off. The setup is 100% consistent.

I have had horrible luck running reactors off the return pump. The needle valve always need adjusting or gets clogged.

I would prefer to stay away from teeing off into my return pump for that reason. I understand many people here do and have success but I would rather not chance it. Do you mind me asking what you spent on the Cole-Parmer Masterflex Digital Peristaltic Dosing pump w/ two easyload 2 heads? Also what is the price of the replacement tubing? Also are you using the second head for something else? Thank you.

No idea why you had issues running a reactor off of a return, I and many have run them for years that way with zero issues. And for a small valve or needle valve, I just cleaned mine every 2-3 months in a vinigar bath (have two, would swap them back and forth) and that was all the maintenance needed. Other than that, they were set and forget.

I would agree that a peristaltic pump would be the most precise, but I also view it as a waste of cash as it is really not needed. Each to his own I guess.

i have used an aqualifter before i got the new reactor, and it worked great.
no noise, and had enough umph to push plenty of water if my tank needed more calcium.

so, its another choice.

also, your return pump has nothing to do with calcium buildup on fittings.....
i usually use my fingers to flick off salt creep off the effluent line. i use a standard ball valve JG fitting to adjusting my reactor, and it never has problems....
(lots of people complain about needle valves clogging due to small orifices.)

I run a MaxiJet 1200 feed pump on my Austin Oceans MoCalc as it runs the reactor pressurized and this helps increase the efficiency of the reactor. I do use a filter sponge on the maxijet to keep crap out of the reactor. Never had any issues.

i run all, my system on 1 pump less to worry about

everything is run of flowstar 1500 and have a backup

Yea I'm not sure why either but I've tried it on a couple systems. Seemed like every other week it needed adjusting. Could have been build up on the foam pads, the needle valves, the return pump itself, or the gravity shifts from the moons placement. I wish it worked out for me though because I paid 350 for my feed pump but I cannot agree that it was a waste. CSS220 and aquamedic ato were a waste but this pump is nothing short of amazing.

To the op. I paid 350 but originally I got it for an auto water change system. It did great but I realized I really don't mind doing them manually. The second pump head was so I could reduce the rpm on the motor by 50%. My demand is crazy high and I was concerned about the tubings longevity. It was simply a precaution. 1 head works just fine. I already had it so decided to add it on recently. It ran great for a few years without it.

One reason I got the digital one was it would not restart after a power outage. This was great for the water change system but not so much for the reactor. I have it on a battery backup and so far it has been flawless. If I were to purchase one specificly for a reactor it would be one with a knob for speed adjust so it comes back on after power loss.

Yea I'm not sure why either but I've tried it on a couple systems. Seemed like every other week it needed adjusting. Could have been build up on the foam pads, the needle valves, the return pump itself, or the gravity shifts from the moons placement. I wish it worked out for me though because I paid 350 for my feed pump but I cannot agree that it was a waste. CSS220 and aquamedic ato were a waste but this pump is nothing short of amazing.

To the op. I paid 350 but originally I got it for an auto water change system. It did great but I realized I really don't mind doing them manually. The second pump head was so I could reduce the rpm on the motor by 50%. My demand is crazy high and I was concerned about the tubings longevity. It was simply a precaution. 1 head works just fine. I already had it so decided to add it on recently. It ran great for a few years without it.

One reason I got the digital one was it would not restart after a power outage. This was great for the water change system but not so much for the reactor. I have it on a battery backup and so far it has been flawless. If I were to purchase one specificly for a reactor it would be one with a knob for speed adjust so it comes back on after power loss.

I definitely have no issue with the money to spend on the pump. My issue is the size and being able to place it somewhere with my confined space that is available to me. I may have to search for something smaller.

Back