What is a closed loop system???

MikePowell

i am fairly new to this stuff and would like someone to explain to me what a closed loop system is, and what are the benefits of having one. pics and/or diagrams would be appriciated.

Hello,
I'm in the process of setting up my new 125 tank with about 5,000 gph through a closed loop manifold to eliminate powerheads or other unattractive devices and get great flow in their.
Here is a good link for the system im setting up.

Closed loop with manifold

A closed loop is just amethod that recirculates water within the tank. You will have to have a suction hole drilled to feed a pump, then have some discharge holes for the pump to discharge the water back into the tank.

I don't know about better, Its a matter of personal preference, both have pros and cons.

Tunzes are great preform wonderfully and energy efficent, but then agen they still are powerheads.

A closed loop works great especally with a flow diverter type of device like an oceans motions 4 way. But then agen you have a substancial amount of plumbing to do and the cost of valves, pvc fittings.

My preference personaly that I use on my tanks is a closed loop with an oceans motions 4 way...if I need any extra flow in the future I can add the tunze at a later date.

I just don't like the look of powerheads in the tank. a personal preference.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9748588#post9748588 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MikePowell
so would a closed loop be better than 2 tunze in the tank??

Ahhh, the religious discussions never end here on Reef Central...

I agree that it is just personal preference. I don't like the cords from powerheads in my main display.

It also depends on what you want to keep in your tank.

Powerheads (unprotected with foam) are notorious for sucking in a wondering anemone but they are an ez cheap way to get flow.

Ok, first i would like to thank the people who responded to my thread and helped me make my decision on this matter. I am going to go with a closed loop system but i am still confused on how to plumb it so i ask for one more favor about this. can anyone please post a list of resources on how to plumb a closed loop system. thank you for you time

heres a pic of mine as I was putting it together. The first pic shows the returns while the second one was the installation of the input for the pump. The third shows the returns and inlet from the front of the tank.

12078New_90_in_progress_005-med.jpg

12078New_90_in_progress_004-med.jpg

12078New_90_in_progress_001-med.jpg

Abengochea, where did you get the fittings (like bulkheads, inlet, and flare nozzles) for it. i really like them. i too live in miami so no problem if it was a lfs.

most of the stuff I got online. like at custom aquatics but Im sure u can find them at any of the lfs. They all pretty much have the same stuff. The only thing I couldnt find here is the union with the ball valve in one and The 1.5" bulkhead that was shorter than the standard bulkheads.

ok i am having a hard time finding what i need b/c i have no clue what all those fittings are called. can you pls tell me what they are?

The bulkheads and nozzles you should be able to find at your LFS or online. You can get all the PVC at Home Depot.
By the time your finished you will be VERY familiar with the PVC aisle at Home Depot...:D
Also, Before you get to far ahead with the plumbing. Decide which size(gph)pump you will need. That will help you size and design your plumbing.

Good Luck!

what size pump do you think i should use. the tank is a 37 gallon, and the pump will be on the floor under the tank. also i plan to have 2 inlets, and 4 outlets (2 of them will have 2 flare nozzles). will this be too much flow or is this sufficent. also what size pipes should i use?? 1/2, 3/4, 1", or 1.5"

Back