What is best way to prevent overflow

StephNewman

My main tank is on main floor of house with sump in basement. I am using an Iwaki 100rlt to pump the water from basement to main tank. The Iwaki is stronger than my drain so some water is already being deverted back to sump. I am worried about the main tank overflowing if the drain gets even slightly restricted. As I am in the building stages of the tank I still have the ability to change my plumbing around. I am looking for the best way to build plumbing to prevent the possibility of a flood on the main floor. I have a middle overflow with a 1.5 Inch bulkhead and 1 Inch bulkhead. What are the best ways to make sure I don't flood? I was thinking possibly the Herbie method would be best, in which both bulkheads in the overflow are used as drains and then just bring a pipe on the outside of the tank for the return. Is this what everyone else thinks is best or any other suggestions?

Largely depends on the size of the overflow. I would suggest a 1.25" siphon on the 1" bulkhead, and a 1.25" dry emergency on the 1.5" bulkhead. With that pump, and length of drop, that would be bomb proof. Not the best, but bomb proof. Beans system is the best ;)

Beans system would require another drain which would mean drilling another hole, correct?
What do you mean by dry emergency?

A dry emergency is a standpipe, that under normal conditions does not have water flowing through it. If the siphon plugs, the dry emergency (because it has a higher capacity) will take over the drain function and will prevent a flood, unless it plugs up while in active use.

Yes bean's system requires a third hole.

You can add a ball valve on the return line to trim the flow. What size is your sump and how much flow do you have currently?

I have a T on the return line with a ball valve to devert some of the pump water but that won't prevent a flood if the drain gets blocked.
I think I will go with the suggestion you gave above uncleof6, thanks.

can you block off return area with dual float switch to cut pump off when return area runs low?

make sure return line has a hole drilled in just below water level to help siphon break for power outtage. swing check doesnt hurt on rtn line too, its not 100% but better than none.

gate valve on rtn line now to regulate flow though.

overflow boxes of pvc overflow that only gets used when water gets too high.

if you dont have livestock yet then id drill another hole in tank. when i ran tank on main and sump in bsmt i used 2) 1.5" drains at about 3800 GPH. never had a chance of backing up unless one was totally closed off.

just some ideas......

i got my return on a ato device controlled by a single float that is sitting above my overflow, if it fills up my pump turns off.

Back