What is better New Apex or GHL Proflux 4?

I want to hear more about the KH monitor that GHL is coming out with especially after hearing more about the APEX trident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assume you have no controller currently? I'm considering an upgrade, but my heavy 'investment' in apex modules make the newer apex brain the default choice.

Assume you have no controller currently? I'm considering an upgrade, but my heavy 'investment' in apex modules make the newer apex brain the default choice.

I'll answer the question for him lol. Let's say that no he does not have either controller currently.

I have a Profilux 3.1 and I posted it for sale. Im going to buy one or the other in the coming weeks so I'm very curious.

I think either one will do all the essential things that you need it to do. I have an older Apex (rather than the 2016 model) but I have found the robust community of users to be an excellent resource - and most helpful in working out any programming issues I might have had. I also own a GHL Doser 2, and while the unit is of outstanding quality, I have not found the community to be nearly as robust and find the interface to be a bit cludgy. I think of it in the same way as RC. Not that the platform is any better here than the competitors, but there are simply more members; and a better chance of getting valuable insights (also more bad advice, but that's life).

At the end of the day, I bought into Apex because I figured as the market leader (in volume of units sold), they were more likely to offer sustained innovation and a better support community. Just in the time I have owned it, PAR monitoring, FFM/flow sensors, DoS, auto feeder, etc. have come out; not to mention impending Trident. GHL has certainly innovated as well, but I'd judge to not quite the same degree.

I picked up a GHL at MACNA. The impression I got after speaking to both vendors is it is a "iPhone - Android", "Ford-Chevy" situation. Both do the same job, in a slightly different way and are of equal quality.

The Apex does have a bigger user pool to draw information from so that could be a plus.

This is my first controller.

I'm not blind to some of the advantages of the Apex, but I can't overlook the fact that GHL is the most stable/reliable.
After 5 years of using the Profilux, I just can't trust my tanks to any other controller.

I'm not blind to some of the advantages of the Apex, but I can't overlook the fact that GHL is the most stable/reliable.
After 5 years of using the Profilux, I just can't trust my tanks to any other controller.

When you are de-flooded and back to normal I am going to be looking for assistance/advice. Would like to have graphs to look at, but have not figured that out yet.

More stable than what, APEX? I didn't know APEX was unstable. Mine has worked flawlessly since I've had it, not sure what could be more stable than that.

I have never used a Profilux.

More stable than what, APEX? I didn't know APEX was unstable. Mine has worked flawlessly since I've had it, not sure what could be more stable than that.

I have never used a Profilux.

And your luck will most likely continue. Overall Apex is pretty solid.
But I've seen too many instances of lock ups and catastrophic failures.
And I don't care how big the user base is in comparison. I haven't found ANY catastrophic GHL failures.

I also like how GHL is upgradable like any home PC. Upgrades and repairs can be done at home. Also less chance of being left behind.
Far less separate modules.
Build quality is tops.

Hmmn, there don't seem to be all that many catastrophic apex failures that I recall - maybe a few. Don't recall reading any with GHL, is true, although my German's not that good :lol:. I have also long had a preference for buying US made stuff. Some exceptions, particularly in the early days of the hobby when German was about all you could get (Dupla, Tunze, etc.).

I have an Apex, in fact 3 of them, up and running, and at least one of nearly all of their modules. It's a powerful, deep system and overall I love it. That said, I would trade features for better reliability. In addition to those 3 that are running tanks, I have two that don't work, plus a couple of modules that don't work, and that doesn't count the repairs that have been necessary on the ones that do work. Plus, as far as I know, it is STILL not possible to back up data on Apex Fusion, or even locally using the 2016 Apex, which I consider inexcusable from a customer service perspective.

I've never owned any other controller, and am very heavily vested in Apex, so I'll be sticking with it. Besides, I do really like it. But if I were starting from scratch, I'd try the alternative.

I've only had one dodgy module - and that was bought used with clear evidence of moisture intrusion. I don't buy them used anymore.

After using both I like Apex better. The Apex user interface, fusion, is far better. In fact I am at a total loss as to why GLH as not come up with a better interface. Working away from home and dealing with MyGLH is a PITA.
Also programming with apex's fusion is a breeze.

While I like the quality of GHL I would never recommend it. A good controller is not just parts.

Just tagging along here. I've had my Apex since day one, and besides few problems with my DoS and DDR it has been pretty solid. Debating on making the jump to the New Apex, but recent customer service experience is making strongly considering the GHL. Plus lets be honest, the Profilux looks so much better!

One must have feature for me though is the text/email alerts is certain parameters are off or leak happens, etc. Does the GHL offer that?

And your luck will most likely continue. Overall Apex is pretty solid.
But I've seen too many instances of lock ups and catastrophic failures.
And I don't care how big the user base is in comparison. I haven't found ANY catastrophic GHL failures.

I also like how GHL is upgradable like any home PC. Upgrades and repairs can be done at home. Also less chance of being left behind.
Far less separate modules.
Build quality is tops.

while i have no doubt both have had failure at some point you have to consider the sample size we're dealing with. being conservative i would guess that apex outsells ghl 1000:1 when it comes to tank controllers.
dosing pumps however are a different story. i would guess that the dos and ghl dosers sell almost equally.

while i have no doubt both have had failure at some point you have to consider the sample size we're dealing with. being conservative i would guess that apex outsells ghl 1000:1 when it comes to tank controllers.

In the USA. Abroad is a different story.

And like i said, user base doesn't matter when you can't find ANY failures from one company. It'd be different if there were just LESS THAN apex. But really... other than failed screen or some other minor item, i have never seen where a Profilux crashed a tank. Unfortunately I can not say that about Apex. This was one of my main deciding factors when choosing a system 5 years ago.

As far as the user interface, the PC software is real easy to use.
And also 5 years ago, when Fusion didn't exist, GHL was the only one where you didn't need to know any programming language. Just choose from menus or input values. MyGHL is fairly new and features will slowly be added. A fully functional mobile version of GCC is on the way too and was displayed at MACNA. Yeah, Fusion is fancy with all the graphics and stuff but that's lower on the priority list for me. YMMV.

Roughly three(3) years ago i was debating on which aquarium controller to acquire, obviously one reason had me interested in the ProfiLux as it caught my attention that museums, research institutes and research labs utilize the ProfiLux for their systems, even Google's headquarters in Switzerland.

Back