What is ORCA and How to Join

YodaHart

In Memoriam
What is ORCA?

ORCA is a non-profit organization of aquarists dedicated to the care and conservation of marine life kept in reef aquariums. Our primary objective is to educate other area reef keepers on the requirements of caring for reef inverts, fish and coral propagation.

ORCA believes that in order for this hobby to continue and flourish, dedicated hobbyists must take a more active roll in their community to educate new aquarists on the less destructive methods of cycling tanks, fish cohabitation, beginner and advanced coral requirements.

With many different methods of reef setup and care available from books, Internet, and local fish stores it can create even more frustration for the hobbyist looking for answers. We believe we can help the new hobbyist and advanced aquarist in new methods of caring for these delicate and beautiful creatures.

As saltwater aquariums have gained in popularity, so has research into how equipment used can best emulate natural reef settings, provide better quality water, and give the hobbyist more control over every aspect of their tank. This has resulted in a large niche market of equipment. Deciding on which to purchase can sometimes overwhelm newer hobbyists. This is an area where our advanced hobbyist members will be able to provide advice.

In summary, the main goals of ORCA are to:

*Educate the reef aquarist

*Promote better standards for LFS

*Explain how to care for and propagate coral

*Disseminate information from books, Internet

*Provide a network of knowledgeable reef keepers

*Supply a source of propagated corals for other members

We have regular meetings on the last Saturday of each month. Non-members are always invited and encouraged to attend our meetings. More information for each meeting can be found on the ORCA site under the "Meeting Schedule" section.

ORCA Meeting Schedule

How Do I Join?

Becoming a member of ORCA is a quick and easy process. You only have to print the membership form, fill it out and mail it as directed on the application or bring it to a meeting and give it to a club officer. The following meeting you will receive a membership card and are instantle eligible for all of the member benefits.

More detailed club information can be found at our main website:

http://www.o-r-c-a.com

If any members would like to add comments or something I missed please feel free.

If there are any questions regarding our club procedures or details please post them here.

special privileges

special privileges

What might these privileges be??
Just curious.
George

You know....if our ORCA forums were this active it would open the door to a number of possibilities. One being the ability to generate club funds in the forum of advertisement banner sales and things of that nature. funds that could be used to pay for bigger and better activities that could potentially be absolutely free for members. I have seen this in practice in some other out of state clubs I have been involved in.

Imagine acrylic workshops that ORCA could foot the bill for...that would work out to free(or very very cheap) sumps, skimmers, quarantine tanks, reactors, etc...for members

Imagine giant frag swaps where members who brought frags could take home 90-100% (minus sales tax)

Imagine very well known guest speakers...such as the ones we had at SRC...only at our regular meetings.

Imagine raffle items like the ones at SRC at our regular meetings.

Imagine sponsors listing their incoming shipments, special discounts, rare livestock weekly.

Granted.....all of these things aren't necessarily things that would happen over night....but definitely possible over time.

Food for thought.....

~D

membership info

membership info

i tried to click on your link to print out the membership form, but it did not work. Is there somewhere on the actual ORCA site that I can go to to print this out?

Click on the ORCA website link. Then go to the club info page. There you will find what you are looking for.

Last edited:
So I'm looking to become a member of orca finally. I hear this month is the frag auction? Is there anyway I can I submit frags and bring my paperwork with me to the meeting or is there another way to submit the application.

It seems as though the image verification program during sign up isn't working. Is it still required to register to become a member?

Back