What is the ultimate reef fish?

bluerug

Moved On
What is the ultimate reef fish? As far as looks and personality and overall just a great fish. My vote goes for the purple tang. I dont know what has gotten into me lately but i just love these fish and probably getting one for my aggressive tank, and that is also what makes them a great reef fish, they can put up with the triggers and angels. So my vote is for the purple tang. Lets hear what yours are.

Barwick, I was under the impression that Bicolor's aren't always reef safe. I was gonna get one for my 55 gal. once its cycled for a bit, but I reconsidered once I heard they aren't always reef safe. Is that true?

My favorite reef fish is the firefish goby. I love that huge dorsal spike.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7524620#post7524620 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Freyr
Barwick, I was under the impression that Bicolor's aren't always reef safe. I was gonna get one for my 55 gal. once its cycled for a bit, but I reconsidered once I heard they aren't always reef safe. Is that true?

My favorite reef fish is the firefish goby. I love that huge dorsal spike.

I have one in my 12 gallon aquapod. I will be moving him up to my 90 gallon once he gets to big. My Bicolor Blenny dosen't touch any of my corals. I think they are reef safe.

Alright keep the votes comin guys and gals. I do like the naso's also. But the purple all the way.

I guess if I had to pick one fish, or a group of fish as the perfect reef fish it would be the flasher/fairy wrasses. Awesome colors and behaviors, hardy, always reef safe, easy on tankmates/non aggressive, and you can keep them in pairs or groups. That just about fits my definition of perfection.

bicoloreds arent always safe. i house one in a reef and i can tell you they will try and demolish open brains. i have a trachy that i have to move constantley to keep him from killing it. he's been pretty close to successfull before.

Along with the purple i would have to go with also the blueface angel. I had no idea it would be this hard to decide which was the ultimate reef fish,lol.

Thor those guys are sweet to. Well i am off to bed now, so i cant wait to see what other people think of the ultimate reef fish tommorow.

In a smaller tank, I think I'd vote for clowns or fairy wrasses - looks, personality, and they're safe with inverts. For a large tank I'd probably go with a sohol tang or maybe a powder blue - I'd love to see a really big tank with a group of tangs cruising around with enough room to really stretch their legs... er, fins.

Back