What is this algae and how can I get rid of it?!?

newguy1983

It gets worse as the lights go on and gets better as the lights go off...

All Parameters are in check (even Phosphates) but I presume that this algae is taking it in...I do water changes once a week. Run carbon non-stop (replace every two weeks) and feed daily. It grows on everything

If you notice in the second photo, the stuff even grows on glass, so I am wanting to think it's not Cyano, since I've never seen Cyano do that?

I would love to know how I can get rid of this crap...nothing touches it. No snails (have a Mex. Turbo), no crabs, nothing. I noticed my shrimp doesn't like to hang out on rocks where it's at (so he hangs on my mag float)

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

The more water changes that you do with water that contains nutrients the worse it will get. Do you have a protein skimmer?

Do you run GFO(Granular Feric Oxide)?

GFO pellets from BRS(Bulk Reef Supply) are what I use. I put them in a nylon bag and run it in a high flow area of the sump.

Yes, I use RO/DI water from the LFS (which is pretty reputable)

I would love to get this stuff out of my tank...it's so ugly looking...

I do know this - it does get better for a day after I do a water change...

I thought I was feeding too much, so I cut it down to once every 36 hours...but it hasn't phased it.

Luckily, everything seems happy...

Recommend a good one?

I remember the AquaC Remora name, but don't even know if they make it anymore. As money is tight right now (baby on the way), are there any other "quick" options to remove the phosphates? Like those Kent marine absorbers, or whatever?

I would run some GFO or maybe a nano bag of Chemi-Pure Elite in your filter. I would also just to be on the safe side check your water source at the lfs with a TDS meter.

Yes the Chemi-pure Elite will work in the place of carbon. It also adds GFO to the mix as well. It is in a bag.

I alredy have two powerheads in there...so, I didn't think flow was the issue...

I will try to find that Chemi-Pure Elite here at my local LFS, if not, then I will order online.

It does not hurt the fish/invers, right?

I have this HOB skimmer in my little 16g and I love it. It takes some time to calibrate, but it does the job:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+4400&pcatid=4400

I know the phosphate absorbing media is nice and works well, but if your source water has phosphate then you're fighting an expensive uphill battle. Also, some tanks go through a small cynobacteria phase as the tank cycles. Some tanks get it worse than others, but with RO/DI water and regular water change practices it usually goes away eventually. Is this a relatively new tank?

Back