What is this brown stuff on equipment?

Chim_Richalds

Hey everyone, I'm not necessarily new to the hobby but am new to reefing, I recently had a major loss of marine life in my tank due to an unfortunate series of events in my home. I have since started over, took everything apart and cleaned it. Ran for 2 weeks with tap water. Reset, and ran with RO/DI water 100%. Let the tank run for 2 more weeks, dosing with nitrifying bacteria before adding a clown to start the nitro cycle. Now about a month after adding fish I have this brown coloration on some parts of my equipment. Not on sand, rocks, or glass. Just equipment. Any ideas on what this is?

Attachments

• 20220831_102901.jpg
    20220831_102901.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
Any number of bacterial or algal slimes. Cyano, diatoms, chrysophytes. It will either go away or spread to everything else lol.

Any number of bacterial or algal slimes. Cyano, diatoms, chrysophytes. It will either go away or spread to everything else lol.
Would this still apply even if there is no nitrate or nitrite in the tank yet? Also from my limited experience, cyano doesn't attach to some items and not others, it attaches to everything.

I'd chalk it up as part of the ugly phase. Limit the photoperiod and if you are near a window, use construction paper, etc. to block any sunlight as it will attribute to algal issues.

Hey everyone, I'm not necessarily new to the hobby but am new to reefing, I recently had a major loss of marine life in my tank due to an unfortunate series of events in my home. I have since started over, took everything apart and cleaned it. Ran for 2 weeks with tap water. Reset, and ran with RO/DI water 100%. Let the tank run for 2 more weeks, dosing with nitrifying bacteria before adding a clown to start the nitro cycle. Now about a month after adding fish I have this brown coloration on some parts of my equipment. Not on sand, rocks, or glass. Just equipment. Any ideas on what this is?

Would this still apply even if there is no nitrate or nitrite in the tank yet? Also from my limited experience, cyano doesn't attach to some items and not others, it attaches to everything.

>I'd chalk it up as part of the ugly phase. Limit the photoperiod and if you are near a window, use construction paper, etc. to block any sunlight as it will attribute to algal issues.
Reminds me of stuff I've found on one of the my old AR-15 ( AR-15 Rifles | AR 15 Rifles For Sale I think it was Daniel defense). Had a pipe break while I was away and it sat in water for like a week before I came back(since it was in my basement).

Looks like some sort of bactreal colonies

Last edited:
Back