what is this brown stuff?

sponger0

tank is still cycling andi m wondering if this is something to worry about

IMG_1239.jpg

Regular old diatoms. It is normal, unsightly yes, but is all part of your tank coming on line. They will fade away as the tank ages.

Any reason why this stuff would come here like normal with a new tank and go away then come back again?? like 6-7 weeks into it. I just noticed some came back about 2-3 days ago after I put some ro/di water in.

Yes, it takes a tank 6 months or more to fully stabilize. You can expect various algae outbreaks during that time.

Regular water changes and an adequate clean up crew can greatly reduce the effects of a cycle. Patience is the best medicine for a reef. Just take your time and go slowly and you will see positive results.

Well thats what cleaned it up before, around 2 weeks ago. I bought me a clean up crew and I do water 20 percent every weekend because i'm working on getting the hair algae out.

I had some when I started a tank too. They fade with time and disappear. Just keep at it and expect the unexpected. Just when you think you are done with those something else will rear its head. Very common for a tank that is cycling and maturing.

well since the brown stuff has appeared my snails have seemed to go into overdrive and cleared alot of it out. they seems to keep at it all the time and i like my little clean up crew lol. my gf calls them gary 1 and 2

Back