What is this killing my zoas?

rogersb

I don't have an account on a photosharing site, sorry it will be small. A few days ago I noticed that some of one particular zoa were covered in a dark brown/black slime. The first day I was busy and did nothing assuming it would fix itself. The following day the infection had spread to a lot of the same colony. I got in there and did a water change Tuesday and cut out what must have been hundreds. I missed a few and Thursday I cut out a lot more. Today I am looking and I can see 3 or 4 more I missed. The sickness/bacteria/virus has not spread to any other zoa colonies but I am trying to get it out. (1) Has anyone seen it? After the 10g water change I threw in some new carbon in the sump. Thursday I also replaced the gfo, but that should not affect the zoas, just a change I did this week. Today I'm going to do another 10g water change and cut out those infected as well as those around them. The zoas are on a large rock with 2 or 3 other types on it as well as a 7-8" green slimer (sps) colony so getting it out to dip would not be easy. (2) Will cutting out the infected stop the spread?

Attachments

• sickzoas 001.jpg
    sickzoas 001.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 0
Just cut out more. I believe that's my 4th time in there in a week cutting out polyps. I've got 20-30 colonies and this is the only one infected/affected by whatever it is.

What kind of flow are they in? I have seen a brown "slime" that affects zoos that aren't getting enough flow.

I have a thought on this one, could be flow as stated before, but could also be a lighting issue. I do not know how long you have had them so I will assume less than two months with this problem.
See how the polyp in the bottom right corner is frilly around the edges? Ripply I guess may be a better term, either way it has irregular extension. Could try pointing a power head directly at them? The type you posted I normally see with a longer stalk and i'm thinking "too much light". Even if you have had them for a month it can take up to a month after introducing new livestock before it starts to take on the symptoms of light shock. With the polyps so close to the rock they are attached too tells me they could handle less. After they are weakened from light shock algae sets in. If i'm correct with my timeline, move them to shade and add some flow too them. If my timeline is off then please disregard.

Tom

I have a thought on this one, could be flow as stated before, but could also be a lighting issue. I do not know how long you have had them so I will assume less than two months with this problem.
See how the polyp in the bottom right corner is frilly around the edges? Ripply I guess may be a better term, either way it has irregular extension. Could try pointing a power head directly at them? The type you posted I normally see with a longer stalk and i'm thinking "too much light". Even if you have had them for a month it can take up to a month after introducing new livestock before it starts to take on the symptoms of light shock. With the polyps so close to the rock they are attached too tells me they could handle less. After they are weakened from light shock algae sets in. If i'm correct with my timeline, move them to shade and add some flow too them. If my timeline is off then please disregard.

Tom

I've had them close to 4 years in that spot. They are high up and about exactly in the middle of the tank(75g). For flow I have 2 mp10es on full blast, a mag 5 return, and some sort of koralia. They get decent flow :) The ones that are further away from the center do have long stalks.

rogersb
try rubbing what is effected with a q-tip and remove the slime. I have this happen on occasion with old colonies as well. Sometimes its for no reason and others it is a subtle indication of something happening with water quality not identified with a test kit.

rogersb
try rubbing what is effected with a q-tip and remove the slime. I have this happen on occasion with old colonies as well. Sometimes its for no reason and others it is a subtle indication of something happening with water quality not identified with a test kit.

If any more slime up I will give that a try. I didn't list my numbers (as of last night) alk -7, ca 400, mg 1330. I know you said not indicated by a test kit, but others may want to see these.

Back