What is this stuff and how do I get rid of it?

Vmazz

As of today, These rust colored dots started to appear all over my tank, it hasn't been running for long and I only have one fish which seems healthy. I have chaeto in the back of the tank which has started to die off. Can anyone help?

Here is a picture

Attachments

• IMG_1940.jpg
    IMG_1940.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 0
yep.. totally normal diatoms..
Chaeto is potentially lacking sufficient nutrients.. maybe light.. (you didn't give us much info to go by)..

yep.. totally normal diatoms..
Chaeto is potentially lacking sufficient nutrients.. maybe light.. (you didn't give us much info to go by)..
I removed the chaeto because it was probably releasing the phosphates and nitrates back into the water. I had a strong light on it, maybe it was too much. I will try to put more in once the tank starts to mature a little more and gets going. Other then phosphates, nitrates, and light, what else does chaeto need, this was probably the problem.

I removed the chaeto because it was probably releasing the phosphates and nitrates back into the water. I had a strong light on it, maybe it was too much. I will try to put more in once the tank starts to mature a little more and gets going. Other then phosphates, nitrates, and light, what else does chaeto need, this was probably the problem.

Iron will help it but you have to be careful since it will also help other algae.

The chaeto died because there isn't enough available nutrients for it to grow. The tank is to new basically. Let it run for a bit, once you add a couple fish, wait a bit longer, then retry the chaeto.

Just to add:

SOMETHING has to grow on those white rocks. Brown diatoms first, then maybe cyano, then maybe green hair, and eventually green and purple coralline algae and sponges, etc.

Just to add:

SOMETHING has to grow on those white rocks. Brown diatoms first, then maybe cyano, then maybe green hair, and eventually green and purple coralline algae and sponges, etc.

Funny you said that, I thought that the rocks turn purple over time and I had no clue what Coralline algae was. So I started reading and found out you must add coralline algae because it is a hitchhiker. So just yesterday I ordered coralline algae spores in the mail and they should be here soon.

The chaeto died because there isn't enough available nutrients for it to grow. The tank is to new basically. Let it run for a bit, once you add a couple fish, wait a bit longer, then retry the chaeto.

Thank you! Once I get a mantis shrimp in there it should start producing a ton of nutrients and I will try chaeto again.

Back