what is wrong with my zoas

milesofreefs

IMG_3817.jpg
[/IMG]

in the last few days my zoas have gone from looking fine to this. could something be eating them? i have seen some unusual looking critters at night that kinda look like small little nudis but the move realy fast and are to small to get pics of. there flat tiny and shuffle around on the rocks at night.

is that a majano or tube anemone?

at any rate...pull the zoas and give them a quick fresh water dip..(match the temp and pH of your tank) if there is any nudis on them they will fall off...the critters you describe sound more like amphipods, and they are cleaning up the dead/dying zoas...nudis are pretty slow compared to amphipods...

if you have nudis, there will be spiral like white egg sacs attached to the bases of the zoas...you will also want to look for zoa spiders (by far the nastiest looking little bug)

its a featherduster.

i know the things ive described are not amphipods. but another reef said they are harmless.

ive seen some sundial snails in the tank and for the most part have taken out everyone ive come across but they could still be the problem. im going to search for spiders tonight. if it is spiders what should i do? i pretty much can not take that rock out without ripping apart the whole tank.

its a featherduster.

i know the things ive described are not amphipods. but another reef said they are harmless.

ive seen some sundial snails in the tank and for the most part have taken out everyone ive come across but they could still be the problem. im going to search for spiders tonight. if it is spiders what should i do? i pretty much can not take that rock out without ripping apart the whole tank.

only way to get spiders out is manual removal with tweezers..

Back