what ive resorted to... :(

JellyFishPirate

So i have a 50G reef tank and for 7 months now i can constantly hear clicks every few minutes, after some research i am 100% positive it is a mantis and after reading the horror stories i couldn't sleep at night.

so i started fresh water dipping 1 live rock every 2 weeks that i thought the mantis might be hiding in. but no luck i would always still hear the clicking and was driving me crazy. (the tank is in my bedroom so at night the clicks were very loud and constant).

so about 2 hours ago i thought what the hell I'm going to dunk all my live rock in tap water. (see pictures)

ps. the ice was just to add a boost of confidence that whatever is in there dies...

Before picture:
DSC_1083.jpg

After the live rock massacre:
DSC_1084.jpg

DSC_1085.jpg

DSC_1086.jpg

unfortunately there casualties i could not prevent... BUT i think its worth it now because i cant hear any clicking at all. (i still haven't put the live wait i mean dead rocks back into my tank but i will keep you guys posted)

Mishri

If you didn't find the body of a mantis shrimp... it likely was a pistol shrimp.. harmless.

a Baited trap would have been a much better way to trap it. If it never got trapped and it was put in properly you likely never had one anyway.

I hope your fish make it through okay with all that stuff dead/dying on the rock.

If you did find the mantis shrimp corpse then congrats.

Last edited:

JellyFishPirate

If you didn't find the body of a mantis shrimp... it likely was a pistol shrimp.. harmless.

a Baited trap would have been a much better way to trap it. If it never got trapped and it was put in properly you likely never had one anyway.

I hope your fish make it through okay with all that stuff dead/dying on the rock.

If you did find the mantis shrimp corpse then congrats.

i had my live rocks in freezing cold tap water for over 1 hour... i spent all night making a new rock design in my tank put everything back together and i dosed live bacteria to help boost the bio filtration, also i am running a enhiem canister filter for my biological filtration as well the fish seem happy but water is still tinted cloudy will add activated carbon later to see if that helps.

anyway what $$$$$ me is after few hours the clicking CAME BACK?!?! WTH? how is that even possible i have never found a corpse and i have never seen the mantis with my own eyes, so like you say if it is a pistol how even if its a mantis how is it possible to survive cold fresh tap water for over 1 hour submerged ?!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:

young doz

Stomatopod Enthusiast
I probably wouldn't have put the rock back in, there would be a lot you cant see has died and will seep into your tank.

Kharn

MANTISMAN
Ppl can kill off way too much good stuff when hunting for a mantis in their tank only to find out that the mantis is like 1-2inchs long and would only of harmed things around 1-2inchs long tops....

So countless very good and needed critters often die in the hunt for the mantis, the trade off ?

Not worth it in my view...

Coelli

i had my live rocks in freezing cold tap water for over 1 hour... i spent all night making a new rock design in my tank put everything back together and i dosed live bacteria to help boost the bio filtration, also i am running a enhiem canister filter for my biological filtration as well the fish seem happy but water is still tinted cloudy will add activated carbon later to see if that helps.

anyway what $$$$$ me is after few hours the clicking CAME BACK?!?! WTH? how is that even possible i have never found a corpse and i have never seen the mantis with my own eyes, so like you say if it is a pistol how even if its a mantis how is it possible to survive cold fresh tap water for over 1 hour submerged ?!?!?!

If it was deep in the rock, it probably didn't get cold enough to kill it (would just slow down its metabolism) and it may not have had enough chlorine to kill it either, or been exposed to enough freshwater (it could have been in a sort of pocket of sw in the rock).

I have a pistol shrimp (a Randall's) in my tank; he doesn't bother anything, we just hear him clicking sometimes. He's only 1.5" at most but you can hear it across the room. Try trapping whatever it is instead of trying to nuke the tank again. :)

JellyFishPirate

well its been 2 days now and the fish are all happy, i haven't tested the ammonia yet as i been very busy but I'm going to do a water change tomorrow to be on safe side

liverock

RC Sponsor

You have a pistol shrimp...they can be 1/4 inch long and make the same pop as a mantis. If you have a POP...and never see a mantis, you don't have one it is a pistol..Pistols seldom come out of hiding,especially the little 1/4 inch ones....as they live within the sponges and the rock, a mantis will come out a lot and you would have seen him.

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com :rollface::rollface::rollface:

Calappidae

Harlequin Shrimp
Ppl can kill off way too much good stuff when hunting for a mantis in their tank only to find out that the mantis is like 1-2inchs long and would only of harmed things around 1-2inchs long tops....

So countless very good and needed critters often die in the hunt for the mantis, the trade off ?

Not worth it in my view...

^

People hear the first click and panic, usually the hitchhiking species will only hurt hermits or small snails at best.

Sometimes I confused the poping sound my filters make for mantis hits.

fritzz1111

Got a 29 Bio in the bedroom for coming up on a year now. It used to drive my wife and I crazy (pop, pop, click, click....) now we don't even notice it. Heck we'd probably notice it more if we didn't hear it. :spin1: I guess it's kind of like living next to a railroad track or something of the sort.

I think it's pretty neat, actually. I mean the hitchhiking stuff that comes in and on the rock (and in the sand) when you buy it live like that. We're in the process of starting another tank in the living room (again using the aquacultured LR and LS) and I'll just sit there for hours looking at all the little cool stuff that's living on/in them, which makes the cycling (as short as it is) process much easier to endure without temptation of rushing thigs.

I consider it a tradeoff, and if you get a mantis/ghost shrimp or some other organism folks generally categorize as bothersome like Aiptasia - which ironically, I enjoy having and don't take any special steps to eliminate either.

I guess if things like that got to me too much, I'd just ditch that approaching to reefkeeping and start off with DLR and sand in order to have 100% complete control of what goes in. Got a buddy like that and I think my tank is much nicer (own personal opinion of course)!

nmotz

Got a 29 Bio in the bedroom for coming up on a year now. It used to drive my wife and I crazy (pop, pop, click, click....) now we don't even notice it. Heck we'd probably notice it more if we didn't hear it. :spin1: I guess it's kind of like living next to a railroad track or something of the sort.

I think it's pretty neat, actually. I mean the hitchhiking stuff that comes in and on the rock (and in the sand) when you buy it live like that. We're in the process of starting another tank in the living room (again using the aquacultured LR and LS) and I'll just sit there for hours looking at all the little cool stuff that's living on/in them, which makes the cycling (as short as it is) process much easier to endure without temptation of rushing thigs.

I consider it a tradeoff, and if you get a mantis/ghost shrimp or some other organism folks generally categorize as bothersome like Aiptasia - which ironically, I enjoy having and don't take any special steps to eliminate either.

I guess if things like that got to me too much, I'd just ditch that approaching to reefkeeping and start off with DLR and sand in order to have 100% complete control of what goes in. Got a buddy like that and I think my tank is much nicer (own personal opinion of course)!

I agree with you about liking all the little critters that come in on LR. The only exception would be if I was planning on keeping SPS because some of those hitchhikers (mainly Aiptasia) would take away from the appearance of the tank a little more.

EI Gringo

Probably a pistol but if it is a minute mantis the chances are the clicking noises are mostly parting shots on larger inverts or the mantis widening its tunnel in the rock, the best and easiest thing to do rather than catch and kill it, is to find its den and actually just feed it instead, leave a little meaty food near where you think it is. If you have worries over a small mantis then you have small inverts, if you are wrong and there is no mantis, you're small inverts will take the food instead, no problem. I have a tiny tiny pistol in my tank, the thing is not even a cm long (I've seen its molt and briefly itself when I tracked it down and tempted it with bait, it's tiny!) it makes as much noise as my gonodactylaceu. :L. My 2 inch tiger pistol makes way more noise than my 6 inch peacock!

Betta132

Do you have a baggai cardinalfish? They click. Or you could have a pistol somewhere, they're harmless enough. Even if you do have a mantis, it's a smasher and therefore only dangerous to the snails and such. They aren't that interested in fish.
All the dead stuff on that rock is going to rot and cause a lot of problems. And why is there a full-size brittle star in that bucket? Mantises don't hide on starfish.

Have you tried bottle traps and the like yet?
If you catch a pistol, put it back, they're harmless. If you catch a mantis, sump it or give it to a LFS or something. It's best to try non-lethal methods first, it isn't the critter's fault somebody moved its rock into your tank.