What kind of controller do you use??

I have a Reef Angel Plus, and I'm wondering if I really need it.....often think about selling it.

I like that I can see the condition of the tank anywhere and anytime, but I'm not using it for much more than monitoring PH, Salinity, controlling temp, and the macros are nice for feeding and water changes.

ReefAi has a new product as well but it has not come out yet. It includes a par and a water flow sensor built in it also uses fiber optics for its in tank sensor.

I had an RKL and liked it just fine. worked great and never had any issues. I will be going with an apex this time around for one reason only. A Salinity probe. I hate measuring Salinity with a passion.

I had an RKL and liked it just fine. worked great and never had any issues. I will be going with an apex this time around for one reason only. A Salinity probe. I hate measuring Salinity with a passion.

My recommendation is to read up on it and ask yourself if it's worth the effort (unless they've fixed previous issues). A good refractometer is a friend. How often are you checking salinity?

This is not to say that Neptune products are bad -- I have an Apex, three EB8s, and a slew of accessories. I simply love it.

I have used an RKL for about 5 years and loved it. My setup has always been pretty simple so I only needed it for light timing and heat control. I recently got a used RKE with net so we will see how that goes. I just couldn't justify the extra cost of an apex for the minimal needs I have.

For the price I would go with reef angel. They are far the cheapest of them all plus there programming is unlimited

Full apex. It controls my t5s, ato, heater and chiller ((fan). I'll be adding the wxm shortly as well.

Had an rke but didn't like that I couldn't control my radions and mps with it.

I've been using an RKL for my last three tanks. I started out with the basic setup to control my lights and heater. I have expanded it to include more outlets and ATO.
It does what I want it to do.
I'll be looking at the Archon when it comes out to see if I want to upgrade.

Apex & love it! Had an Rke, digital aquatics support was shameful, sold it (should've used that POS FOR TARGET PRACTICE) and switched to neptune.

Apex Gold. Spent the extra cash and am glad I did. Being able to check tank info and change settings either online or on phone is awesome. From timers to fall backs to auto water changes - Apex all the way.

Speaking of auto water changes - anyone have any experience programming apex to do this? (Still fine tuning mine :fun4:)

Well considering I'm very lucky on a potential disaster I am for sure going to get a controller now! I had my dosing pump set up for all of 3 days before my cheap digital timer malfunctioned and my kh turned on or stayed on all day and alk jumped from 8 to 13.7.. All is good as its coming down and corals seem fine..

My recommendation is to read up on it and ask yourself if it's worth the effort (unless they've fixed previous issues). A good refractometer is a friend. How often are you checking salinity?

This is not to say that Neptune products are bad -- I have an Apex, three EB8s, and a slew of accessories. I simply love it.

Was not aware of the issues.. what exactly are they? I was checking salinity probably 3 times a week, including water change day.

So I've been reading up on the apex Neptune Jr, and it says it has controllable outlets, but I'm not sure if that means I can program each outlet as an independent timer.. I want to hook up my dosers to it and have it come on and off periodically throughout day.. Can someone explain this to me please?

RKE here

I was going to buy a RKL but I found a very good deal for a whole RKE setup for about the same price. All i really plan on using it for is temp control and possibly ATO

So I've been reading up on the apex Neptune Jr, and it says it has controllable outlets, but I'm not sure if that means I can program each outlet as an independent timer.. I want to hook up my dosers to it and have it come on and off periodically throughout day.. Can someone explain this to me please?

That's exactly what it does. Each controllable outlet is basically an on/off switch controlled by time for whatever is hooked up to it.

RKL for me.

Least expensive.

Temp comptroller for heaters, sump fan, and chiller

Time controller for lights and light fans

Metal halide light function that will turn MHs back on after mini-power outage

WaveMaker function for 2 pumps per controller

Standby function to turn RP, ATO pump, and FF off for 10 minutes while feeding

I'm retired so not interested in communicating with controller

Also not interested in tracking pH, alkalinity, whatever -- I do that manually

Mike

I had both apex and reefkeeper. apex runs circles around reefkeeper, especially since fusion and they're adding to the product lineup all the time. Reefkeeper hasn't changed in years.
I wouldn't be so quick to think the Archyon will be any different than DA's other stuff. The RK modules didn't live up. No plug and play for the advanced light module (you had to make your own wire.) And there was no info on how to set it up or program it. DA customer support sucked, although I've never used NS's support, but I've never needed it except from the help forum. Even if just the basics your better off with the apex.

Now the down side of the apex. It overwhelmed me at first with setting up email and remote internet access but once I got most of that done Fusion came along and no need for the PITA setup. But then again Fusion still isn't up to par but still is years ahead of DA's myReef software.

I bought the RKL just for the basics and quickly needed the RKE. I couldn't deal with that and went sight unseen and bought a mess of Apex stuff when I heard about Fusion this time last year. So far I give it 5 out of 5 stars but wish I didn't have to do updates. I just had to buy a 35 foot ethernet cable for that but then again reefkeepers need updates too.

Now if that isn't an honest review, then what is?

I love my Apex. Being able to control my tank from anywhere and receiving text notifications when anything goes wrong. I'm also on the reeftronics service so I get a notification if my controller goes offline, which typically indicates a power failure, or some idiot (might be me) is rewiring things and forgets to plug in the Ethernet cable. :)

I love the apex.
Good: you can do just about anything you want. Neptune also coming out with new plug/play add on's.
Bad: I wish they made a wifi module. Not really all that bad, LOL!
Check out controller of the month. That will give you an idea of just some of the things you can do. Programming may be a little more in depth. However, its really easy when you take your time. There is also help here on RC just about 24/7.

Back