what kind of creature is this?

Oh I had something like that too. In the end I never found out what it is, but I do know that it didn't harm anything. XD

very tough to say, but I had a large population of harlequin brittlestars that were breeding in a single rock. LOTS of long black and white striped arms sticking out.

That would be my guess.

Oh I had something like that too. In the end I never found out what it is, but I do know that it didn't harm anything. XD

Glad to know that it didn't harm anything. I am worried at the same time curious :eek2: I look at her all the time lol. I even put the lights close up to him..

very tough to say, but I had a large population of harlequin brittlestars that were breeding in a single rock. LOTS of long black and white striped arms sticking out.

That would be my guess.

Hi, It could be harlequin brittlestar but I notice tthat there is no hair in tentacles unlike the brittlestar images in google.. Thanks.. :crazy1:

so with smooth legs, I'd call it a serpent star versus a brittle star. Not sure if that's technically accurate, but I think most LFS would use that logic.

Hi, It could be harlequin brittlestar but I notice tthat there is no hair in tentacles unlike the brittlestar images in google.. Thanks.. :crazy1:
Harlequins are serpents, so no tube feet (i.e., "no hair in tentacles").

Brittles and serpents usually do not come out from the rocks, so what you're seeing is normal behavior for them. They snag food by extending their legs, limiting the risk to limbs that can regrow if lost.

Harlequins are serpents, so no tube feet (i.e., "no hair in tentacles").

Brittles and serpents usually do not come out from the rocks, so what you're seeing is normal behavior for them. They snag food by extending their legs, limiting the risk to limbs that can regrow if lost.

Thank you for that information. Yeah she extend her legs about 1 1/2 inches to grab food... It's a cool to watch . :fun2:

when in doubt,,yank it out...unless you get an exact iD on it..
I could not disagree more with this philosophy. Even if you don't care about the lives of creatures in your tank, removing things without any evidence that they're harming anything is unwarranted and could deprive your tank of beneficial diversity.

Back