What kind of skimmer is this?

ekoroknay

And does it just need a pump? Or are there other parts needed?

Attachments

• newtank 025.jpg
    newtank 025.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1
What makes the skimmer crappy? Don't they all work the same? Pump produced micro bubbles and bubble push crap up and over into cup.

??:confused:

Yup they all work somewhat the same but that one is probably inadequate for a 90g regardless of what pump you put on it.

It would work just fine on a smaller size setup. If you can find a used needle wheel pump you could always use it until you start to notice your nutrients increasing.

There is nothing wrong with it. In fact the neck to body ratio is pretty darn good. You don't have to have all the bells and whistles cone shape to have a good skimmer. Bubble plates are great but are not even close to being what determines a good skimmer or not. For the record I would rather have a stand pipe like that then the stupid wedge pipe most skimmers use now and no bubble plate vs a poorly constructed bubble plate. With the right pump it would probably rock... unfortunately the good pumps cost more then half of the skimmers these days. In your case your better off looking for a new one. Possibly SWC or Reef octopus if you are on a budget.

I agree with tkeracer.

however if you come accross a cheap ocean runner or sedra that will power the skimmer fairly well to get you by

no there not the same trust me. the cheaper skimmers dont pull half the stuff good skimmers do and your always adjusting them and sometimes they dont even work at all.

Heck i'd try it out if it were me, then keep it around if it works good. When you get one sized properly for your system you'd at least have a back-up, or sell it to recoup some of you cost.

no there not the same trust me. the cheaper skimmers dont pull half the stuff good skimmers do and your always adjusting them and sometimes they dont even work at all.

Could you explain why this skimmer will have adjustment problems?

Obviously a bubble king or alpha is going to work better out of the box then a jebo but its just a plastic tube with a pump. Getting the right pump is more then half the battle. The plastic tube doesn't matter as much.

Here is arguably one of the crappiest skimmers you can buy. A css65. Works just fine with a little modding. This skimmer needed dumping once a day. You can see on the top of the lid where foam would start coming out of the top long before it was full of skimmate. The only mods I did was add a stand pipe like the one the OP posted and added a mesh mod pump off the css220. (Yes I also added a drinking straw for the air intake)

css65wmm220pump.jpg

I had a SS65 for a while. It worked well for what it was. I drilled out the venturi to make it larger and mesh modded the NW. I agree one of the worst skimmers out there. The skimmer in question looks no better than a SS. I would not use it on a 90g, a smaller tank would be ok.

Mag pumps are not needle wheel.

You would want some type of needle wheel, pin wheel, or mesh mod skimmer pump.

I don't think there is a pump that will make that skimmer perform well enough for a 90g. It might work for a while but eventually would need to be replaced.

I would look for a different skimmer, I only say this because by the time you spend the money on the pump and mods you could buy a good used skimmer. You could end up buying a pump that does not connect into the skimmer and than if you are not handy it will not work. You could also find out that the new pump is not sized right for the skimmer and it will overflow or not produce. Save yourself the trouble and look for a used Euro reef, reef octo,asm or a few others that compare. Hope this helps :)

Back