What kinda powerheads do you use?

Valentini89

I use cheapo fluval seas for my qt and whatever offbrand my LFS had in stock in my 150g DT. This is the only area I went with cheap equipment and I haven't regretted it. I've had no problems with any of them. So what do you guys use? Problems?

2 vortech MP10s on a 40G.
Likes: no wires in the tank, lots of flow modes and customizations, wide flow for relatively small head, easy to clean.
Dislike: price and noise. Not noisy, but not silent either. My el-cheapo Koralia is silent.

Tunze’s pushing almost 10 years on some of mine without a single solitary failure and I abuse the living hell out of them.

MP10/MP40 QD. Like no elec in the tank, the QD are quiet IMO, love random programming using the reef link and they dont need cleaning often and easy to do, pretty durable and hard to break IMO. Con - is the price but they work. Use to use some cheaper ones and they never would start after powering them on and I'd have to put something in the propeller area to start them which is PIA

I have a Jebao PP-20 and Vortech MP40es in my 180 reef. The jebao is 1 year old and so far works like new. It moves a ton of water and does everything the vortech does. Jebao is much quieter too, this is the standard ES vortech though not the newer qd.

I still have a Jebao wp10 from a few years back for a 22g that I'm using now in my 40g for one side.

I decided to pick up a Coral Box RN-1 to try out despite the lack of reviews since it only came out a few months ago. I like the low profile like the Vortechs and supposedly wide flow but my impressions so far hasn't been too positive. The flow just isn't that strong even if I have it on full blast. I think the reason is that the impeller design is like no other powerhead and just doesn't work that well. It uses very small impeller fins on a large shaft while just about every other powerhead uses the opposite. I will replace the Jebao with something stronger to help.

Jebao WaveMakers. I have 2 pp4s on my 34g. It's fantastic for water movement. And a great value.

thesimplereef.com

Jebao rw8 & a few hydro koralias. Tried replacing the koralias by adding a jebao pp15,but it failed after a year, so back to the reliable koralias. I just run them, no wave maker, to many issues on it. Just don't have hundreds to drop on the other controllable ones.

I have a few Jabeo powerheads & I have a jabeo crossflow pump in each of my tanks. I also have amp-40 on my bigger tank. Other then the 1 mp pump its all jabeos in the dts. I have a korilia & fluval that I use for my mixing container. I like the fluval better then the Korillia as far as the powerheads themselves. Although I prefer the magnet to hold them in the mixing container. I would stick to the fluval for cheaper powerheads if they just used the magnets & not the suction cups.

I run Koralias in my display for now. I'll change over to a pair of Tunze one of these days. I want to be able to randomize the flow a little better than I can with the Koralias.

I run a Tunze nanostream in my frag tank.

I have used dang near every type of water mover thru the years. Surge tanks, maxi jets both regular and modified, sea swirls, sea sweeps, koralias, votecs, gyres, closed loops, penductors off my returns, waveboxes, wave pucks plus some I’ve probably forgotten about in my 20 years in the hobby and lastly Tunze. By far Tunze is the ONLY brand/type I purchase anymore! Simple design proven over many years on the market, larger models are controllable and are extremely quiet! They move a ton of water, are directional, are easy to clean, good customer support and take a beating. Not sure how you can beat that in this age.

Back