What lighting should I use for a shallow canopy?

Dotterer

Hi there -was wondering if you could help with a question.

I'm currently building my own setup - have the bean and overflow all worked out, and was wondering if you could advise me on the type of lighting to use? I've got a rather low canopy, which I do need because of the kids in the house, and they style is that it 'flips up' - so I was thinking that I would need to mount the LED fixture to the underside of the canopy.

I don't think I can 'hang' the LEDs, as they would flop (and also might not be high enough above the surface?)

What do you think? Thanks, Seth!
Here are a few pictures:
top-open2_zps597bb44a.jpg

top-with-brace_zps76255929.jpg
Top (with old fluorescent cables)

04-topshot2_zpsd630cf84.jpg

If you are wanting to mount the lights under the hinged lids I would recommend a T5 light system. Individual reflectors a must # of bulbs depends on the corals you plan to keep.

That said I recently switched from Mh/Vho to 3 of the cheap Chinese 120w led units over my 135 and I am very happy. These led fixtures hanging pins are screwed into the fixture so you could mount them solid to the underside of the hood but you will have to put a spacer between the hood and the light to allow the light to get air for cooling. Plus most of these have the switches and dimmers mounted to on the top of the fixture. If you did mount them this way I would be concerned that the lights would be to close to the water surface not allowing enough light spread. Mine are about 9" from the water surface. I have mine mounted on a light rack and can raise or lower them to any hight I want and to me the 9" gives me the best light spread.

If you are wanting to go leds and if it was me I would cut a opening in the hinged hood tops and set the leds light units on top of the hood.

there are slim LEDs out there that can be hung inside that canopy, but T5 came to mind first for me...

Additionally, you might cut skylights into your lid and mount LED's to the top. My buddy did that and I think it looks nice.

LED Hanging option

LED Hanging option

I built my canopy & successfully hung an Evergrow D120 in it.

Here's how you can do it too.
Get a piece of aluminum tent pipe...1 - 1.25 " dia.
Hammer one end flat, then fold 90 deg. (on the same flattened end._

Measure across inside canopy,..the do the same to the opposite end as instructed above, making it fit between the outer side / ends.
(a tip: pipe can be joined using wood dowel internally, to lengthen, if need be)

Screw it to the canopy in whatever fashion can be made.
Example:
(if sides are not thick enough to screw to, add wood stock material)

Screw the support pipe just below your canopy top, to allow the LED support cables to wrap around it

Now just wrap the LED fixture cables around the pipe, then clip to the LED fixtures' post(s).
I added a "split ring" to one post which is MUCH easier to clip to, instead of the small hole in the post.
Also, the fixture(s) can be easily slid left or right,..for spacing. Just lift fixture slightly, then shift fixture.
See these pics for clarification.

Attachments

• Support Pipe.jpg
    Support Pipe.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 0
  • LED Hung.jpg
    LED Hung.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back