What makes a clown want a host?

villious

Is it instinct? If so, aren't tank raised clowns just as likely to find a host as wild clowns?

Is it that they see other clowns (mom and dad) at a young age and see that the anemone is where they should be? So they are basically "taught" at a young age to find a host?

What's the driving force here? Wild vs. tank raised.........which is more hostable? Whats your opinion???

Instinct. Tank-bred clowns will take to a host quickly most of the time, especially if there is a species of anemone that is a natural host.

Interesting......

I was reading in another forum last night that a lot of people have had luck getting their clown to host by taping a picture of a clown in an anemone on the side of the aquarium near the real anemone. I know it sounds funny, but several people said it worked for them. That's what got me to thinking about this. But that would almost sound like the clown going to school, seeing the picture and realizing what he was supposed to be doing :)

I have a beautiful H. Crispa and I'm going to get a pair of true percs for him. I've been researching if the odds would be better with wild caught or tank raised, as the wild caught have already been to school.....LOL. But, I'll say that I'm definitely in favor of tank raised whenever possible.

u know villious i heard the same thing but tape a picture of another clownfish on the tank and probably scares them or something to hosting.....like they are saying its mine!

I have put a mirror in the tank when I was trying to catch a maroon clown and take him out of the tank. Beleive me....it p*ssed him off!

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11636686#post11636686 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by villious
Interesting......

I was reading in another forum last night that a lot of people have had luck getting their clown to host by taping a picture of a clown in an anemone on the side of the aquarium near the real anemone.

thats what i did to get mine to host, i think they get jealous :)

Tank-bred clowns are hardier because they haven't been collected and transported and because they don't have parasites, which are common in wild caught fish. Perculas with H. crispa shouldn't be a problem. If the anemone is healthy, then I would expect the percs to take to it in a week or less--even though they've never seen an anemone before most likely. You were wondering if clownfish learn to go to anemones or if it is instinctive, when a clownfish hatches, it is free floating in the ocean until it complete metamorphoses, at which time it begins to hunt for an anemone. They don't learn to do this, it is hardwired.

Back