What MH Bulb? Need reccomendation for 250w SPS setup with no actinics

pjr300

In Memoriam
Help! Need a reccomendation for a 250w buln... it will be placed on a SPS setup, which we plan to run without actinics.

Currently use hamilton but growth is kinda slow... probably bacuase PAR is low. Any recommendations for good alternatives?

Depends on what colors you like. I like the color of 10k bulbs, so when I switched from 10k XM 250w to 10k Reeflux 250w, it was perfect. They're still white, but accentuate a TON of blue in the corals. The old XMs were more purple/green/pink, everything but blue really :p

It's a Hamilton magnetic ballast, and I have SE moguls. In the past I thought single-ended radiums looked fine if they were on a HQI ballast; else, they seemed somewhat over-blue.

I have Hamilton 14k now... the color is fine, but the growth seems kinda slow.

radiums or aquaconnects. I have a single 250w 14k aquaconnect over my 60 cube and the growth is a lot faster than when i had the xm 20k on it. Even though i really liked the xm 20k.

Folks, thanks for the suggestions!

I'm trying to run without actinic supplementation, yet have an ice-blue color. But, given that I have a standard Hamilton Magnetic ballast, I don't think Radiums will run very well.

Sounds like I should check out the Phoenix 14K, Reeflux 12K, and the AquaConnect 14K. Any additional comments on color and growth are appreciated! Also:

- Do any of these require an HQI or Pulse Start ballast?
- Seems like I've read somewhere that the Phoenix 14K is a copy of the AquaConnect bulb. Any truth to that comment?

Thanks again!

If you want par, consider upgrading your reflectors. I'm not sure what you're running, but if you switch from the typical spyder reflector to a Lumenbright/Lumenmax, you can expect to double your par with the same bulb. Yes, I said double. Granted, it will cost you a pretty penny, but it might also open up some bulb options too.

the aquaconnect is a great bulb to run alone, but it doesn't run well on a magnetic ballast. they look great on icecaps

Back