What Next?

dmorel

Can I borrow your towel
Hello old friends.

The round reef is coming down. It's just not bouncing back and it's time to start fresh.

I'm working with a buddy who has been doing maintenance for me for a while that some of you probably know on the new layout. And one of you pretty visible folks on here is going to end up handling the logistics of the build of the new display which will be custom acrylic (you know who you are!). :wavehand:

So far we have a few ideas. I'm partial to a 4x4x4 cube. Super dramatic and deep. But there is an idea for a hexagon tank that is roughly the same size as the current tank only 36" deep instead of 18" which would be nice. Make for much better viewing too versus the round tank - but I kind of like the cube...

The good thing about the hex tank is we can reuse a lot of the equipment (in particular the stand and light rack and maybe some of the closed loop plumbing too). Where as with the cube basically only the sump room can be re-used.

I'd love to do a drop off tank, but I can't make it work with the dimensions I have to put it in without more renovations to the house. So I think we are down to cube vs hex tank. Anyone have any thoughts or pros cons to either?

PS I should have some nice corals for PROP when we break it down. I want to paint while the tank is empty, and I can only keep a few things in the QT system during that time so I'll get in touch with one of you folks when we have a plan.

Back