What pump for a Calfo manifold on a SPS 30 cube?

badfish

Premium Member
Premium Member
I would like to get the powerheads out of my tank. I want to build a Calfo manifold but i am not sure on what pump to use. My tank is a 30g cube with mostly SPS.

It will have to be an internal pump that will push a head of 4 foot. Right now i use a Mag 5 for a return. Do you think that it will be enough or should i go for a higher rated pump like a mag 7 or 9?

i dont think your looking for a calfo that is a type of overflow your looking for a closed loop wich pumps water around in a continuous loop in the tank the best way to do this is to drill the tank but in your case you have an established tank you can also make one like the one suggested melevsreef.com and it hangs on the back.

also dont increase the pump or you will get to much flow through your sump which will cause problems with micro bubbles. you want like 10 times per hour flow through your sump.

hope that helps

A Calfo manifold is the one that goesw over the back of the tank and around the rim. It has several outlets. That the one that i am looking to build.

definately check melevsreef.com beacause he builds one that goes over the back and then pumps back in you could just go over the back and then build a pvc frame that sits just inside the rim and directs flow out at all angles.

kind of like a circle going around the top of the tank.

You need to determine how many outlets you're going to have and then figure out the pump. More outlets will mean you'll need a bigger pump.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12895924#post12895924 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nu2reefva
definately check melevsreef.com beacause he builds one that goes over the back and then pumps back in you could just go over the back and then build a pvc frame that sits just inside the rim and directs flow out at all angles.

kind of like a circle going around the top of the tank.

Thats the one that i am talking about.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12897166#post12897166 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FishNFun
You need to determine how many outlets you're going to have and then figure out the pump. More outlets will mean you'll need a bigger pump.

It will have 6 or 8 outlets.

It sounds like you want to use your return pump to provide flow in the tank by feeding it up to a perimeter of PVC. This usually doesn't work so well, because as nu2reefva said, you'll be pusing too much water through your sump. Could your overflow handle 1200-2000 GPH?

(That's just a ballpark range based on SPS and 6-8 outlets. You'd probably want more GPH)

I think you should consider a genuine Closed Loop. To do this you would leave your current return pump alone. Youd buy a second pump, feed it staright from the display and return it to the perimieter manifold. This way you wouldn't have to increase flow-through-sump to crazy levels.

Never really been worried about to much flow through my sump but look at this thread post 7.

Guy started with the Calfo loop but then decided to much flow throught the sump (only had a 10g). Ended up still using a perimeter loop but with feed pump in the overflow chamber.

Might also hunt around Calfo's old forum and maybe able to get some idea of flow used with his manifold from other users.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=426630

Back