What Reef temp range fluctuations are OK?

I think im going to wire up.my two.fans this wknd and put them on a dimmer switch and a timer. And hopefully I can figure someway out to control it via temp.... I probably can with an apex unit

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Well being the nerd I am, and I tend to cannibalize old computer parts, CPU fans being one of them. I've actually spliced a 12v CPU cooling fan to an old 12v power supply and it keeps my tank nice and cool when the lights come on since it's attatched to my timer. Its attached to a shelf right above my 10 gallon, by an eye loop screw and picture wire.

As you can see by the pics, it's not the prettiest but it works very well. Dropped my tank from 80 to 76

IM8oZ.jpg

igOOy.jpg

Here are my fans! Super quiet and super effective cooled my 125yrs ago!

uploadfromtaptalk1336070941043.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

It's been a while since I had my 150 up but thought I'd give my .02c.

Reefs in the wild can easily see 8 degree ranges throughout the day. There was data that showed the parts of the GBR that saw larger daily temp fluctuations had less bleaching from higher temps. This acclimates the corals to better withstand a short duration temp spike. I typically ran my SPS tank with w 4 degree range.

But I also had my tank set up to be low temp. 250W lights no VHO, MP40 flow, open top, fans on hood and sump controlled by a controller. No chiller. Fans effectiveness will depend on how humid the room the tank is in gets. In a large house like yours probably not a problem.

I've been playing with the fans now for a few days. House temps ranged between 74 to 85 degrees. No A/C yet. Open upstairs windows at night and the house cools down nicely. One fan during the day is all it takes to keep the tank at about 76 degrees unless it gets up to 85 degrees in the house. So I've put one fan on the light timer for now.

I was at The Aquarious last week and Carlos suggested a temp range of 75-77 degrees. He also gave me some other recommended water parameter ranges.

I added an Spectrapure ATO as water was evaporating at a pretty good clip with the fans running. Around 2 or 3 gallons a day. I have a 55 gallon RO/DI storage tank that I connected it to.

The ATO keeps the 30 gallon sump level to within a 1/4 inch range.

Once it gets hot day and night and the A/C is running I'm sure the fan use will go up. At that time I'll check into a reefkeeper setup to perhaps control the fans.

Back