What reefsafe silicone from HD

Gundo5000

I need to silicone my overflows in on my new closed loop 135.

What brand can I get from Home depot.

Thanks guys,

i think it's GE silicone II, as long as it's clear & 100% silicone without the anti-mildew stuff you should be good to go.

i'm sure someone else will chime in with more info

GE silicone I. It's the II that has the anti-mildew blended in.
HD also sells "aquarium sealant". That's my preference. It's only
available in a tube, so you would have to get a couple of them if you needed alot, but it's only a couple of bucks. How much is your livestock worth?

Do not use GE II. I made that mistake and almost wiped out my tank! I agree with 75reef, just be safe and spend more on some aquarium silicone. You could even get the stuff at walmart if you really want to save some money on it.

UUUUGHHHHH!

ok, here's the real deal.

GE SiliconeI and SiliconeII are both safe to use as long as they do not have the mold inhibitor. Both SiliconeI and SiliconeII are available with and without the inhibitor. You need to read the tube.
-J

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8490300#post8490300 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by uchiha
i think it's GE silicone II, as long as it's clear & 100% silicone without the anti-mildew stuff you should be good to go.

i'm sure someone else will chime in with more info

GE Silicon I, Windows and Doors.

GE II isnt safe anymore.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8495373#post8495373 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by miatawnt2b
UUUUGHHHHH!

ok, here's the real deal.

GE SiliconeI and SiliconeII are both safe to use as long as they do not have the mold inhibitor. Both SiliconeI and SiliconeII are available with and without the inhibitor. You need to read the tube.
-J
NO, not its not.

GE II is no longer being made without mildew/mold inhibitor. ALL tubes coming off the prodcution line have BioSeal in them now.

You may be able to find old tubes of GEII without it, but any made in the last year or so will have it.

Someone called GE [to see what the difference was, for their poison dart frog terrarium] and GE said it was just a marketing thing and that the ingredients never changed.

EDIT: I'm not saying go ahead and use it, just letting you all know what I've heard.

Last edited:
Yep, and here it was me providing mis-information. Who woulda thunk it. Sorry about that... though in my defense I have purchased the SiliconeII, sans mold/mildew inhibitor within the past 2 months from HD. Most likely pretty old stock, and I was unaware they had quit SiliconeII without M&M packaging altogether.
-J

i stand corrected as well, looks like they don't make GEII w/o the BioSeal any longer. My local HD seems to have stopped carrying it.

Back