What rewards you the most about this hobby?

ReefCowboy

Why do you spend so much time and invest so much in your tank(s)?
What are the things you see at a FS that make you forget everything and want to get them?
In a scale of 1-10, how addicted are you to reef tanks?:fish1:

Most rewarding part about my reef tank is seeing corals fully open and growth. The exact opposite is true when I see closed up or dying corals and makes the hobby frustrating at times. My addiction is currently at 7-8 range.

Most rewarding thing is coming home from work and sitting on the couch and just staring at the fish swimming in and out of caves ..

Why do you spend so much time and invest so much in your tank(s)?The challenge and because i can
What are the things you see at a FS that make you forget everything and want to get them? Mostly death and destruction at my FS which saddens me but have way to much time and money in my system to take the chance
In a scale of 1-10, how addicted are you to reef tanks?7ish

The main reason I work so hard on mine is seeing the look on our two year olds face when I goes and looks at the tank. He freaks over just the snails and crabs though.

The things I love the most are the bright and colorful zoanthids. I really just want to fill the tank with all the bright colors but the wife believes we need a diverse selection.

I'd say a 10 right now since I just came back to the hobby after 7-8 years away.

Why do you spend so much time and invest so much in your tank(s)? Because the fish and corals are beautiful to watch. It is rewarding to know that I can create a good environment for them to thrive in. PLUS watching the tank in the evening helps me relax and wind down before bed.
What are the things you see at a FS that make you forget everything and want to get them?LARGE ANGELS!!!!
In a scale of 1-10, how addicted are you to reef tanks? 8, but the meetings are helping.

The challenge and to share my love of reefing with other people when they see my tank

I love seeing non traditional or challenging corals and fish because they are fun to try to keep alive and it feels good when your successful, especially if the fish is a rescue.

Solid 11 I have a serious problem, this hobby is so addicting

Why do you spend so much time and invest so much in your tank(s)? It is my responsibility to provide the best I can for the critters I have.

What are the things you see at a FS that make you forget everything and want to get them? Nothing I don't impulse buy.

In a scale of 1-10, how addicted are you to reef tanks? I an a solid 10

The thing that gives me the most pleasure is to look at pictures from when I first set my tank up and looking at it now

honestly, i don't know why i even have a t.v. i love my tank because it's relaxing. most evenings are spent with a dog or two in my lap, just watching the fish.

i don't know if i'd consider myself addicted but i do really enjoy providing a nice home for the creatures i choose to bring in to it.

i would give a kidney to have an eel-proof/safe tank!!!!

I love the experience and knowledge my two boys (4 & 2) get from the tank. They are little knowledge absorbing sponges. I haven't had an impulse buy, yet. Can't say the same for my husband. Addicted...6-7.

As Tony just said...just last evening I was looking at some pictures from when I first started the tank, a year ago this month. It's amazing, that despite myself, I've created a miniature eco-system in my house that things have grown so much in such a short period of time. Very rewarding. More of an addiction than a hobby...at least at this point.

It makes a great escape. I was born to be at sea, but was subject to a life of office work. Argghhh one day.. one day..

why do you spend so much time and invest so much in your tank(s)?

Because the reef tank is my creation giving me the ability to utilize my creative talents and my abilities in science and mechanical engineering. It is the responsibility that keeps me interested.

What are the things you see at a fs that make you forget everything and want to get them?

Not really so much at the lfs than other reefing fanatics like myself who aquire beautiful specimens that i do not own.

10+

For me it's a mix between the beauty of the tank that I'm able to create with a mix of fish and corals that are all interesting to watch grow over time.

Add to that the technical "geek" side of things where I get to tinker with equipment like skimmers, LED's, PAR meters and the like.

What are the things you see at a FS that make you forget everything and want to get them?

I'm a tang nut..always have, but I know I don't have the right environment for them....now I have added Angels to that list, since I have corals now. One of these days though...large FOWLR to finally have what I love.

In a scale of 1-10, how addicted are you to reef tanks?

About an 8 I'd say

I was a biology major in college, and briefly considered a career in marine biology - until I realized there were only two jobs in the industry. Jacques Cousteau had one; Robert Ballard the other. So I pursued business as a career; SCUBA and reef tanks as a passion.

I'm increasingly 'challenge' motivated, particularly where fish are concerned. So that 'expert only' animal is often irresistible.

Addiction level? Well, I've been keeping reef tanks since about 1988, so I guess it's a 9!

Hmmm for me it's a real challenge when i first start my tank
There was no one have a salt water tank in my country I was buying
My fish from dubai and I buy my stuff from USA when I visit both country for work
I run my 190 gallon tank for sex month with two fishes only then I make one of my LFS
Start a saltwater tank and now I can buy my fish and coral from him and there is another store start the deal so it's really something special for me my tank is mean a lot for me
And I am number one in the hobby in my city so I will say 12 of 10 on the scale

For me it's the "mystery" of what's going on in there. And it's a tropical place I can enjoy year round. On a scle of one to ten I'd say 9

With this tank right now...

... nothing...

Just in that annoying bad parameters stage. Mostly comes down to a bad test kit... but yeah having tons of coral in the tank will help me feel better about it...

I started diving back in 76 when I was 12
For a great many years you could not keep me out of the water, so it seemed natural to me to bring some home!
My first SW tank came when I was 21, and I've pretty much always had one since.
I've always had ear issues that eventually became worse, so for me it's just the best way to enjoy the ocean any time I wish, which is pretty much most of the time.
It's just a great way to relax and enjoy the mysterious beautiful things that exist down below!
30 years of SW tanks, pretty sure that makes me at least a 9 on the scale!

Back