What should be my first DSLR?

90sShooter

I know this has probably been asked SEVERAL times here in this forum, but after scanning through a couple pages I haven't found what I am looking for... So I need some professional opinions.

After seeing so many beautiful photos posted here on RC, I have decided it is time to step up and get me an SLR. I have always had a secret passion for photography... However, I never really acted on it other than taking a couple trips to the beach with my cybershot point and shoot and messing around with it's "macro" capabilities shooting my reef tank. Which I have to say are pretty impressive for a little $250 point and shoot camera...

I am looking at several different cameras so hopefully somebody can help me narrow it down and maybe help with the diffences between the newer and older models of each. After hours of researching these forums as well as other content online, I have decided to concentrate on the Nikon and Canon cameras... The particular models I have been looking at are the Nikon D40 & D60 and the Canon Rebel XTi and XSi (also curious what the differences are with the XT and XS). I also understand that for the most part all these cameras are going to perform pretty similar and that the lense is more important. However, I am on a budget (actually getting it for xmas and need to keep it reasonable) and I want to make sure I first pick a nice body that I will be able to grow into and use for years and not be too limited with. I am most interested in MACRO shoots and EXTREME closeups and plan to spend some money on a lense somewhere down the line, but for now the standard 18mm-55mm will help me learn the ropes...

I guess to keep it simple, what camera is the best bang for my buck? is it worth the extra money to go with the D60 over the D40? or the XSi over the XTi? and what are the main differences? Also interested in any other suggestions for a good first SLR that will give me plenty of room to grow and not have to upgrade in a year when I figure out what I am doing ;)

Thanks in advance!

Can't say much abou the nikon, but in teh canon lineup, go for the xsi unless you get a xti really cheap.

The xsi is newer and has a newer sensor, processor, etc. The key feature in the XSi which is really nice for macro shots is live view.

Hypertech- Thanks for the input! what makes the liveview nice for macro shots? From what little time I messed with the XSi at the local camera shop, I find using the eyepeice easier to get the focus perfect...

Beerguy- Thanks man, I already read that sticky... I found it VERY informative! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Live view is easier for macro shots because you can zoom in 10x digitally. This zoom doesn't show up in the final picture, but you can single out a very small section of the photograph to preview. Using manual focus and the DOF button (*importiant) to adjust aperture before the shot, your you should never miss focus unintentionally.

I would definitely go with the D60 over the D40 if you're going Nikon. The difference isn't huge, but without a macro lens you'll be doing quite a bit of cropping to get your close-ups, and the 10 megapixel sensor will be nice for that.

I agree with the need for more megapixels. From what he was saying about "EXTREME closeups" I imagine he will be getting a high quality telephoto macro lens plus extension tubes and a few other accessories. Being able to crop heavy even after you have all of that is a nice feature.

*edit* I think I have decided Canon...

Where is a good place to purchase? Online? Costco? (has it for $749 with a telephoto lense (might be nice to have)) What about a refurb on eBay? is that an absolute no no?

Personally, having had the D40x (and it sounds like you are as into photography as I was at that stage), if you want Nikon I would skip the D40 and D60 altogether simply based on their lens limitations and go for a D80 (which I am sure you can get a great deal on at this stage). I believe the D60 has the lens limitations, maybe someone can correct me. If you plan on Macro photography I think your AF choices for lenses will really open up by skipping the lower level Dseries.

I don't have experience with Canons but I know you won't be dissapointed if you go that route.

As far as purchasing I would not hesitate to go through Adorama and/or B&HPhotoVideo.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13903928#post13903928 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bmwardo
I believe the D60 has the lens limitations, maybe someone can correct me.

You are correct. You can look into used at B&H also. Doing that allowed me to get to a D200.

Ebay, you have to be careful with but it can work depending on the seller. I don't know how Cosco is for problems that may arise.

Have you held any of these cameras? If not, go out and do that. What feels good to one, may not to someone else. If it's not comfortable, you won't use it.

Unless the lens has a motor in it, it will not auto focus on a d40, d40x, or d60.

Yeah I feel sorry for all the D40/D60 owners. I don't understand why so many on these boards even buy them given how well documented that issue is here. Oh well, hes getting a Canon anyway.
icon14.gif

Yeah I visited the local camera shop sunday and played with each for about 40 minutes... lol And again today for another 20 minutes at costco... :D I actually like both, but actually the Nikon feels more oldschool (which I kinda like).

I am not sure if Costco's warranty for camera's is the same as TV's but if you buy a TV from costco they extend the manufacturer's warranty to 2 years! which is sweet! I will have to look into that...

Anyway I just need to decide if the XSi is worth the extra coin... It sounds like it is, but just not sure if the Liveview and 2 extra megapixels is worth a couple hundo...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13904130#post13904130 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bmwardo
The D40, 40x and 60 (and some older models) do not have a built in focus motor on the lens mount. So you can only AF with AF-S or AF-I lenses.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond60/

You learn somethin new every day...somehow in all of my research I never found out about that. Oh well, I've had my heart set on a D80 for a couple years now anyways :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13904655#post13904655 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 90sShooter
Anyway I just need to decide if the XSi is worth the extra coin... It sounds like it is, but just not sure if the Liveview and 2 extra megapixels is worth a couple hundo...

The key to making that decision should be what you'd do with the extra money. If going for the higher priced body will put off a lens purchase then the answer is "no." The lens is really more important than the body.

Back