what should i do if my power goes out?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9231334#post9231334 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by virginiadiver69
After re reading through these posts it sounds like BiggySmalls may be stuck now without power and no backup. what should be done assuming there is no battery backup? Will water changes help? What are some ideas that will help now?

I'd think filling up some gallon jugs half with tank water, shaking them real good, and then pouring them back in the tank every once in a while might help a bit (a lot of work though). Temperature will probably be the real issue if the outage lasts more than 6 hours and the house starts cooling down...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9230980#post9230980 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kiknchikn
A Universal Power Supply (UPS). They're designed to keep computers (and other equipment) from being turned off improperly when the power goes out as well as protect them from surges. You can get a decent one for $50 or so.

7424548_ra.jpg

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=cat08029

I've used APC backups for my computer networks. Just a friendly word of advice, they don't last that long when the power goes down. From what I remember I got around 15 minutes of juice, just enough time to safely shut down my servers.

He meant that the streets are slippery and the tires of cars are spinning in the snow... basically very dangerous to go out and drive right now, especially in a city. Also, here in America teenagers can get a "learners permit" to begin learning and practicing driving as early as 15 (or is it 15½ now?), but they have to have an adult with a license in the car. They don't get their full license until they're 16 and pass a driving test.

That area is getting a big snow storm. And the permit because he is 15 and his mom will have to ride with him, he hasnt got his license yet.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9231640#post9231640 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BiggySmalls
people are spinning out in teh streets in their cars and i am only 15 so i havea driving permit

Stay safe man, your tank will be no good to you if you're in the hospital b/c of a car accident. Unless you're willing to spend big bucks on a generator, most UPS's will only give you a max of 30 minutes of juice. That won't do much for you in my opinion.

OK I understand now, last week we had one inch of snow in the UK and it was pandemonium!!! I can't imagine what it is like there. Also water changes are a good idea, I have my fish delivered to my door and they can survive easily 24 hours in colder water. Any longer and I do not know. He hasn't replied so his power may have gone :( .

ok i will stay at home and hope for the power to stay on.
the snow isnt supposed to stop tol tonight and it is only 12:50 here and we are supposed to get like 9 inches or more. better than 10 ft in NEW YORK though

thanks for your help

yeah 9 ft to 10ft of snow

i just went on sbcyahoo.com and it said 12 feet and counting and they will get even more from the storm that is here in chicago right now

Stay home biggy. Do the thing with a half of a gallon or tank water in a clean rinsed out milk jug, shake it up real good to airate it and put it back in the tank. Do this about once an hour. We are dealing withy mother nature here and there isn't anything you can do about it now. Look into something for the future like the inverter or backup when you can save some money to get it.

Patience my son, patience.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9231998#post9231998 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jakealien
How do they cope, do they build tunnels in the snow?

They pile into dump truck and dump it into the river.

Why not just heat some water every hour if you have a gas stove? You only have a 20g tank it cant be too hard to get the temp up

Heres another question, If someone has a battery and inverter setup, is there a device out there that will automatically switch to the inverter if the power goes out. I can get a battery and inverter no problem but it will do no good if I'm not there to switch it over.
Also, if there is such a device is there anyway to set it up so it doesn't operate the lights?
(in order to save battery life)

Driving is a real pain today. I think you'll be fine with the power. The wind is blowing so the snow will not be settling on the power lines.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00062NFFO/nextag-auto-20/ref=nosim

There are others, but I don't know how you would rig it to automatically switch over if the power went out. Maybe yoou could run a battery trickle charger to a 12volt battery, hooked up to this gizmo with you pumps and heater plugged into it. It would be the main sorce of power for the pumps and heater always and you lights etc. would just be plugged into the regulare electricity.Whe the power went out the trickle charger would no longer be charging the battery but the battery would be powering the pumps and heater. Seems like a rube golberg to me (exceedingly complex devices that perform simple tasks in very indirect and convoluted ways)..... but.....

Back