What size air pump would I need for this skimmer

The old venturi/air pump skimmers are not used much these days. They are not efficent and require a lot more maintenance than modern needlewheel skimmers.

Actually venturi and airstone driven skimmers do work pretty well when compared to other designs, but yes they have definately fallen out of favor. See the skimmer comparison in the link below.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/1/aafeature

FWIW a skimmer is either a venturi driven, or air stone driven (that link says it's both which it is not). Going past the description I wouldn't expect much from that thing in the ebay link. What size tank do you have?

I'm setting up a small 6 gallon pico aquarium. I'm thinking of putting an aqua clear 30 on the back with filter floss, chemi pure and purigen. Figured the small skimmer would help if I wanted to add a small fish or two.

It probably wouldn't hurt then. I don't think you have a lot of choices in skimmers for a tank that small (though I don't keep any nanos so I could be wrong about the lack of choices). Whatever the case, it's tough to answer your initial question since the listing doesn't list a reccomended air flow, and apparently the seller doesn't understand how the skimmer works in the first place.

Back