What size sand for high flow SPS tank? Wrasses?

maxxII

Super Housemonkey!
I've run bare bottom tanks forever due to the high flow I generally run through the system. I dont want sand storms, but I dont want boulders in the tank either.

If I'm going to use sand in the tank I'd also like to try keeping a Halichoeres wrasse of some sort as well, so the sand would need to be small enough that the wrasse could burrow in it.

I know the CaribSea Special Reef Select sand has gotten good reviews, and I can get it semi cheap, $35 shipped for a 45lb bag... http://www.petsmart.com/fish/gravel...ium-reef-sand-zid36-16742/cat-36-catid-300072 ), but I'm not committed to it. If there is something better, by all means, I'm open to suggestions.

Tank is a 120 Oceanic (48x24x24) and flow will be provided by two MP40QD's. The tank return is a Pan World 100PX-X pushing between 800-900 gph once head and pressure losses are factored in. The return will go through two 1 inch Sea Swirls mounted on the back wall of the tank, so figure 400-450 gph for each pushing across approximately 20 inches (front to back).

Thanks in advance folks.

seaflor special grade is the sand most people like for high flow tanks. in my experience it will still leave you limited in terms of flow. I much prefer bare bottom. lots of the best tanks on RC are bare bottom, you just can't tell because corals cover the bottom.

Fiji Pink Reef Sand: 0.5-1.0 mm diameter grain size. It cost a little more but that's what I'll add to my 180g DT.

I have the Caribsea reef grade in my tank and it's great, doesn't budge and my shrimp/goby pairs seem to like it. It was recommended to me by my LFS, which is a coral store and the owner knows his stuff. :)

I use the seafloor special grade in my high flow SPS-dominated 265 and have no issue with sand storms; and my burrowing wrasses don't seem overly fussed ..... at least, they haven't said anything!

I have the same size tank as you. 4x2x2. I also use the Special Grade sand. I've got 5 or 6 sand sleeping wrasses, some for several years and they do just fine.

When our tank was new, Seafloor Special Grade blew all over the place.

Ended up putting crushed coral over the areas that kept moving.

After "Stuff" got into the sand, it doesn't move much now...

Back