What skimmer should I get?

Mccoolx22

Hi, new to the site and looking for feedback
looking at getting a skimmer for my new build. A 40 breeder over a 40 breeder, The bottom breeder will be a display refugium and house the skimmer. I have it narrowed down to the Octopus 110 or Bubble Magus Curve 5,
thoughts or other suggestions? :idea:

If those are your only 2 choices, I say the bubble magus curve.

I would go with something else though. Aquamaxx cones co1, or the aqua max em100

I use remora skimmer but not fully satisfied the skimmate color is not that good quite light in color. I used earlier internal protein skimmer with airstone and got amazing results after running for a month. Though the worst part u need rear chamber or sump to keep them as look very bad in display.Also u need to change airstone regularly thats a headache.

You can't go wrong with either brand.

Just a thought - are both skimmers rated for a tank that's bigger than a 40g?

If not, you may want to consider. It helps when you have a skimmer that can handle a bigger tank.

Both skimmers are very good. I would add the CAD Lights PLS-100 as another good option, it has a very small footprint and skims as well as the other two skimmers.

You can't go wrong with either brand.

Just a thought - are both skimmers rated for a tank that's bigger than a 40g?

If not, you may want to consider. It helps when you have a skimmer that can handle a bigger tank.

yes B.M.C is 140 gallons the REEF OCTOPUS110 is 100 gallons

the CAD Lights PLS-100 skimmer seems pretty nice but it's out of stock direct from them. Anyone know of an authorized dealer online?

IMO a skimmer is equipment that should be bought used if they are available. I'd look on Ebay or the for sale forum here. Used skimmers can be had for less than half retail every day. The only reason to buy new IMO is if the person doesn't have cash and must used credit. Otherwise, skimmers don't go bad from age. I know the Reef Octopus and CAD are always on Ebay. I'm sure Bubble Magnus is too.

Back