what skimmers are comparable to BK ?

deansreef

I have a new 240g cube reef that will be sps and have a heavy fish bio load... any skimmers comparable to the bubble kings? thanks Dean

I'd have to agree with the above statement. Atb's are very very good skimmers.

In my experience... None.

I had an ATB; it was close, but I still prefer my BK. But, that's preference; they're both amazing skimmers, and you can't go wrong with either one.

If you're asking is there a skimmer that's significantly cheaper (ATBs aren't), that's comparable, there isn't, at all.

-Andy

Another vote for ATB. From what I've read, the US distributor is on the east coast now. Good for you guys on the east but bad for us on the west coast.

Pacific Sun is coming out with some BK look-a-likes. Lowered bubble plates to increase contact time, double cone, and dc pump with controller.

I have to give the edge to BK. If I could trade my ATB for a comparable BK, I would in a heartbeat. IMO, the BK is dang near perfect on the craftsmanship level. The ATB is great but I would not call it perfect like the BK. I love ATB, but the truth is, had I got the same price for a BK, that is what I would have today.

Haven't owned an ATB but I can say my BK is the best skimmer I have ever had in 25 years of doing this "sport".

My RO elite 200int is a great, well designed skimmer. I have the neck cleaner and skimmate container for it. I cannot really think of any way to improve it, and I am a fairly picky engineer.

ATB,Deltec,those new NYOS skimmers look promising but new so no long term input on it.BK's are one of those skimmers that are in an elite class of skimmers so not many skimmers are comparable with exception of a limited few.I'd say an ATB is a very good contender and some may not like my next choice but if you can find one an I-tech 400 would suit your needs as well for a lot less than a BK or ATB.the I-tech 400 has two tunze 9420 skimmer pumps inside the body and it built very well with a small footprint for its size and rating.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1536745&highlight=i-tech+skimmer+club

Last edited:
I've used both ATB and BK. 5 years ago, they were comparable. Nowadays only BK continues to innovate with new designs for bodies and pumps.

As others have said ATB is the only one. Reef octopus and vertex do NOT compare unless we are talking the vertex alpha 200 which is good but others are unbalenced

BK still has the edge on them all

i have ran a couple of skimmers over the years i now run an atb and it's by far the best skimmer i ever ran or plan on running.

thanks yall... checking out ATB's. I have a challenge as the footprint cannot exceed 14x10 and I need to skim 240g of heavy load with lots of fish and sps corals. Dean

Back