What The He!! Is This? Fat Worm in My Tank?

Krchfam

Found this floating on my sand last night, no clue what it is and all my stuff is alive (snails, feather dusters, etc. Looks like a regular worm from yard, but short/fat. Any thoughts?

512151c443513ab8af56cc14397f6b12.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the head section from a larger worm to me - probably lost a fight. Left to itself it would regrow both sections (assuming the other piece didn't get eaten) into new worms most likely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Correct, looks like "œa" worm but I can't find anything that looks remotely close to this nor have I seen anything this large. I of course have bristle worms but can't think this is one of them grown up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt it's harmful. It MIGHT be a peanut worm---you never see those except as a proboscis protruding from the rock (they get into a hole a never leave it) I'd put it back in and see what it does. THere are many, many types of worms, mostly beneficixal to the tank.The ones that aren't tend to have distinct mouth parts (the Eunicid) or stinging projections (fire worm, not to be confused with the common bristle worm, a good guy and much to be desired; If it's gorgeous, it's likely the fireworm; if common, baby poo or pinkish or reddisj brown it's the bristleworm There's also the spaghetti worm, which looks like nest of baby worms, but they're all one at the root......

What The He!! Is This? Fat Worm in My Tank?

It looks very much like what I am used to fishing with - Sandworms. Dark head and lighter body. Has two very obvious proboscis in the head which can give you a nasty bite.

Unfortunately I'm not sure of their scientific name and it may be we call a few different species sandworms. All the images of Bristleworms I have seen look very much like what I know as Sandworms. They grow to well over a metre and are typically caught on ocean beaches in the intertidal zone. Google Sandworm images and you'll get lots of photos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back