What the heck is this Anthias? LA said it was a Bartlett

Kinetic

I got a trio of bartlett anthias from LiveAquaria (not diver's den) and recently I noticed this one does not look anything like a bartlett. So what is this guy?

4157523060_31e6c47b6a_o.jpg

It looks like a P. dispar to me. The red dorsal tells me that. IIRC from Scott Michael's book, in places were dispars occur with Bartletts they will mimic the Bartletts.

They come in with large groups of Bartlett's all the time. They are much more difficult to get to eat prepared foods initially, but once they do they're pretty tough.

I've been pretty lucky with feeding anthias. this one took to flake food pretty quick as I mixed it in with brine, mysis, and rod's food. I've kept ventralis very successfully as well too, these guys are way easier though.

So now I have a bartlett and a dispar? fun =) Maybe i should get some other random ones all juvi and see if they can shoal.

I believe Kevin Kohen actually took the time to grow some of these out. They ended up being bicolors. I can dig up the pictures for proof if you like....

I believe Kevin Kohen actually took the time to grow some of these out. They ended up being bicolors. I can dig up the pictures for proof if you like....
Hey peter, that's really cool, thank you for the pictures as well. I really have no issues with them being sold to me as bartletts or not, just wondered. I actually think it's cool to have both. Do the disbars get a lot larger than the barletts at their matured size?

Do the disbars get a lot larger than the barletts at their matured size?

i saw those at my LFS and I believe they are Carberry Anthias

Just to clarify, when I said "bicolor" I didn't mean it as a description, I meant it as Pseudanthias bicolor :)

Bicolors get bigger than bartletts. Dispars get smaller than bartletts.

The one in the first picture is a dispar. The one in Peter's picture is a Bartlett's (big one) and two bicolors. They do look very similar but are different fish.

Only picture I have found even close to the OP's fish is one of Jack Randall's P. dispar photos. But, that's one photo of a single fish, out of how many?

46568_large.jpg

Frankly, I thought the two in the pic with the bartlett look like dispars, but as you can see by what they grew up into (my second pic) they are not. I don't think the OP's is a dispar, but I guess we'll just have to see as it grows up :)

Back