What the heck is this thing? [photos]

joplin

Premium Member
What the heck is this thing? I found it on the front glass after the lights had been out for a few hours. No idea what it is.

20080706-1.jpg

20080706-2.jpg

Not sure if I should try to find it again and remove it or leave it.

thats what she said....

sorry, I couldnt help it. That thing is really awesome....if nobody knows what it is I would like to say just to leave it in there and see what it turns into.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12892260#post12892260 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chatyak
How big is it?

The body is between 1/4" and 3/8" long as it moves and its width is not much wider than a thread. The wispy "leg" looking things are almost as thin as spider thread.

The overall diameter of its legs when extended side to side is about an inch total. If I put a quarter coin up to the glass it would cover it up.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12892260#post12892260 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chatyak
How big is it?

I forgot to mention - it moves pretty fast when it wants. It moved halfway across the front glass of my 30" wide tank in a little under a minute.

I believe it grows to be about 2 feet in diameter so you may need to move it to a specimen only tank... just kidding :) I'm not sure... leave it to someone else to chime in.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12892505#post12892505 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeesGoneWild
Looks like a speghetti Worm, a harmless detrivour.

Thanks for the info - I looked on the net and found a site describing them having a tan color:

http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/staticfiles/NGS/Shared/StaticFiles/Photography/Images/Content/spaghetti-worm-murawski-1047836-xl.jpg

but the one I have has clear tentacles, etc.

Anyway - i'll keep looking for more info about it.

I have the same thing in my tank.... It has like 10 legs that are like 7 inches long when streched out..... I know its some kinfd of worm and everytime I try to remove it... it just sucks its legs up real quick and hinds in the rock..... Its ugly as ****

I think it's nice-looking, actually: really interesting critter---but it's a new one on me. Ask Leslie H over in Inverts.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12892573#post12892573 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SoCalSURFrider
I have the same thing in my tank.... It has like 10 legs that are like 7 inches long when streched out..... I know its some kinfd of worm and everytime I try to remove it... it just sucks its legs up real quick and hinds in the rock..... Its ugly as ****

I have 3 peppermint shrimp in the tank - 2 of them hide when the lights are on, but 1 of them frolics around the tank all the time nibbling on algae... i'm hoping it makes lunch out of this worm if it gets to the point of having 7 inch tentacles!

Looks like a spagetti worm. I have a bunch in my tank with clear tennicals. I have one that is orange with black spots. I have never seen one out of the substrate or live rock...which make me second guess myself.....

Ya I never seen it come out of the rock nor move at all.... I tried moving the rock thinking it might make some difference but it didnt help at all.... What it looks like really is like long hair from ur head just waving around and touching everything in the tank..... IMO i hate looking at it everyday.....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12893229#post12893229 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Xavier613
Wow that national geographic picture is freaky lol

YEP......Its a N.G photo.........YOU got a better one ???

Back