What the heck is this thing?

Melchior

I want to say it's a manjano anenome, but all the pics I see on google images are nothing like it. They all seem bland and dull while this thing seems to have pretty brilliant colors. I think it came in on a piece of my live rock. The picture below is under full daylight lighting (2x daylight , 3x actinic blue, 1x actinic purple).

EB5lP.jpg

I have a few too, forget what they're called. I was told they won't take over like aiptasia, but I started with one (that I missed when I put in a coral), and now I have 4. It's a type of anemone & in a couple of cases they're ticking off the zoas that they're next to. If I run across the name before someone else answers, I'll come back and post it LOL.

Pseudocorynactis, that's it. Guess it's not really a true anemone but an anthozoan. At any rate, I'm not real thrilled about mine reproducing. Guess I need to kalk them with a needle.

I don't actively feed mine so I barely ever see them, to be honest. I had some smaller ones in the tank but I think they simply starved.

I think theres more than one species and some get bigger than others. They might also call them ball anemones. I had a few pink tipped ones that were around 2". They are a mushroom coral but act like anemones that dont need light. Be careful if it gets bigger, mine ate alot of small fish included atleast 3 fairy wrasse, a sifting goby, a 6line, and maybe a mandarin. I tried killing them with a coat hanger since they were impossible to get to without dismantling alot of rockwork, they ended up splitting into more. I ended up chiseling them outta the rock and giving them to a lfs.

Usually they come as hitchhikers from atlantic rock from what Ive heard. Awhile back I seen a 6+" pink one that was very very nice looking. Good for a species only tank etc.

I think theres more than one species and some get bigger than others. They might also call them ball anemones. I had a few pink tipped ones that were around 2". They are a mushroom coral but act like anemones that dont need light. Be careful if it gets bigger, mine ate alot of small fish included atleast 3 fairy wrasse, a sifting goby, a 6line, and maybe a mandarin. I tried killing them with a coat hanger since they were impossible to get to without dismantling alot of rockwork, they ended up splitting into more. I ended up chiseling them outta the rock and giving them to a lfs.

Usually they come as hitchhikers from atlantic rock from what Ive heard. Awhile back I seen a 6+" pink one that was very very nice looking. Good for a species only tank etc.

Wow those guys got the sting of a carpet!! Surprising considering their small size. Looks can be deceiving! lol

Back