what the heck!!

littletruong

So i just picked up some corals from a local member on RC and possibly on here. Well i was acclimating my zoo's and doing my dips before i place them in my tank. But i picked up a zoo colony i got, and well when i placed the colony in my tank, i felt splinters all over my hands!!!:mad::confused:

Well i had to get tweezers and pull out over 100+ splinters, Didn't know what the heck it came from. Well i was examining the zoo rock i got and i saw something slimy and big move inside the zoo rock!! Come to realize it looks like some type of LARGE bristle worm or some sort.. Here are some pics. I believe this was ONE long piece, i just tore it apart when i was trying to remove it..

IMG_2859.jpg

over 2 inches each piece... :eek:

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2857.jpg

Can anyone else verify if this is a large bristle worm?! and is there anything wrong with the splinters it gave me?

Looks like some type of large bristle worm. I wouldn't keep it personally, i don't trust the big ones.

On the "splinters," those are the fuzzy stuff you see on the sides. They are made of calcium, so next time just soak the area in vinegar to dissolve them. Much easier than picking them out with tweezers.

Bristles are harmless to your tank. Some folks remove them any time they see them, but they are actually valuable tank cleaners. I keep them.
As for the splinters, they can be easily removed if you let the area dry, and then put duct tape on them, and pull the tape off.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14763238#post14763238 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by baja_01
Looks like some type of large bristle worm. I wouldn't keep it personally, i don't trust the big ones.

On the "splinters," those are the fuzzy stuff you see on the sides. They are made of calcium, so next time just soak the area in vinegar to dissolve them. Much easier than picking them out with tweezers.

oh okay, thanks for the heads up!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14764108#post14764108 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by macboat
100+ spliters?.. How long did it take for you to pull them out, Alex?

took me about 30 minutes.... took forever cuz i was buzz'n lol..

even easier than tape and tweezers is to use a towel, one quick swipe perpendicular to the spines (I think technical term is Setae) and it gets them all in one pass.

Costco has powder free nitrile gloves for a decent price. You might try those for handling stuff. They fit well, so you don't feel clumsy like other larger coral gloves.

Worms good.
But hey, look at the bright side, at least you didn't take any Zoa slime and touch you mouth.

Back