What to add?

JMason15U

So my wife and I are having a hard time deciding on a new addition. I was hoping to get some ideas on what might go well with our tank. Currently we have a 55 gallon with..
Snowflake clown x1
Blue green chromis x1 (started with 3 at the recommendation of our lfs guy)
Coral beauty x1
Firefish x1
Spotted watchman goby x1
Peppermint shrimp x2
A few different lps corals and anemones as well.
We're looking to get something relatively peaceful but active. To our surprise the Firefish, goby, and coral beauty all share the same home and we've had zero aggression since the chromis killed the other two it came with. We're also relatively new to the hobby with only about a years experience so hardy species would be preferred as well as something that won't scare the firefish as I've heard they tend to be pretty timid. We quite enjoy seeing her out from the time the lights come on to when they're shut off.

Good point - I have a canopy over mine, so front, top and sides are covered. I used some gutter guard velcroed to the wall behind the tank to cover the gap.

Considering the cost of shipping ordering online isn't really an option for me at the moment but I have seen a few different looking fairy wrasses at my lfs. Do the different types tend to have the same disposition? They're definitely neat and would really add a bit of color to my tank.

I would research the ones they have at your LFS and check them out on Liveaquaria to see what size tank they need, whether they are peaceful or semi-aggressive and whether they're reef safe, then you'll be in a better position to get one from the LFS. You could always post back here what they have and get feedback. Good luck

Considering the cost of shipping ordering online isn't really an option for me at the moment but I have seen a few different looking fairy wrasses at my lfs. Do the different types tend to have the same disposition? They're definitely neat and would really add a bit of color to my tank.

Shipping is free if your total order is over $175 at Live Aquaria. Some fish may be more expensive at LA, but where I'm at, LA's prices are often better than what the LFSs can offer.

Plus the fishes are, on a whole, a lot healthier coming from LA than in any of my LFSs. AND you have a two-week guarantee. One of my LFS here offers a 48-hour guarantee on freshwater fish only. I never heard of any type of warranty on saltwater fish at any LFS.

So the $175 minimum order may seem like a lot, but there's a good chance you'll be saving money in the long run.

Most Fairy Wrasse are fairly peaceful, but some can be pushier than others. You'll have to research on the specific species you're interested in. The Lubbock's, or Tri-Color Fairy Wrasse is a great first Fairy Wrasse and is relatively cheap.

Back