What to do with cloudy eye Copperband Butterfly

amutti

Here's the BLUF... I've had a copperband butterfly for about 2 week. Noticed Friday night that it has developed a single cloudy eye. Normally, I'd freshwater dip and then put in the quarantine and treat for flukes (if I saw them in the dip) or a bacterial infection, but I don't think it would survive the stress. It just really started eating black worms with vigor Saturday night and it's pretty skinny.

Should I try and fatten him up over the next few days, see how it goes, and treat then? Or am I better off taking a chance now?

On background, when I got the fish I freshwater dipped and put into my quarantine tank (unmedicated). I didn't see any flukes in the dip water. After two days of the fish not eating and starting to get skinny I moved it to my coral only reef tank figuring it might find some pods or worms to eat. It did and it would occasionally eat a black work or two when fed. Since Saturday night it's been eating 12+ black worms twice a day (so really just 5 times) and I'm getting optimistic it might start to fatten up.

What to do... what to do.

Thanks. That's what I was leaning towards. It seems healthy otherwise. Weight wise it's looking a lot better than last week. Still a little pinched. If the eye doesn't improve I'll FW dip later this week.

Update... So the fish has fattened up a bit. Eye looks much better. Freshwater dipped anyway. Definitely flukes. Setting up a smaller QT/hospital tank (10g) to treat. In the meantime, it seems happier. Was no worse for wear after the dip (5min), was eating 20 minutes later.

Is the current preferred treatment? Prazipro? I have Paraguard on hand, would that work?

Update... So the fish has fattened up a bit. Eye looks much better. Freshwater dipped anyway. Definitely flukes. Setting up a smaller QT/hospital tank (10g) to treat. In the meantime, it seems happier. Was no worse for wear after the dip (5min), was eating 20 minutes later.

Is the current preferred treatment? Prazipro? I have Paraguard on hand, would that work?

Prazipro for flukes

I think my copperband is going to make it. Flukes seem gone and secondary infections are good too. It's finally eating frozen brine and mysis in addition to black worms. So, knock on wood, I'll introduce it to the display end of April.

I think my copperband is going to make it. Flukes seem gone and secondary infections are good too. It's finally eating frozen brine and mysis in addition to black worms. So, knock on wood, I'll introduce it to the display end of April.

That's great news! :)

Back