What to put on MH bulb socket to keep from seizing?

skeeter_ca

I just removed a SE Metal Halide bulb and the base of the bulb stayed in the socket like it was rusted in. I managed to remove the bulb end by twisting the end inward with needle nose pliers. There was no evidence of rust or oxidation and the socket was in good shape. Is there something I should place on the socket, like a lubricant, before installing a new bulb?

I just removed a SE Metal Halide bulb and the base of the bulb stayed in the socket like it was rusted in. I managed to remove the bulb end by twisting the end inward with needle nose pliers. There was no evidence of rust or oxidation and the socket was in good shape. Is there something I should place on the socket, like a lubricant, before installing a new bulb?

Noalox should work. Use for extra conductivity as well.

Maybe try automotive anti-seize......works on spark plugs and exhaust parts which are high heat.

Noalox is what I'd recommend also - I don't have MH, but I use it on the threads of my vaporizers, which are conductive.

This is a great question. Can you use Noalox on DE bulbs. I find they also tend to be tough to get in and out. I have the same problem with some of my ceiling flood lights in my house. Have to look this up.

Only thing I would be careful is since these bulbs get hot they may cause whatever you put on them to thin out and run into the water.

Can't say I have ever had this issue before.

With Noalox, you wipe it on and then wipe it off. If there's enough to thin and run, you used too much :)

Back