What type of softie is this?

mjpinsky

First off"¦ I like the coral/s and will be keeping it/them no matter what the forum basically decides it is/they are.
That being said, I purchased this at my local coral store on a rock rubble with about a dozen clove polyps. (I like the look of cloves so that was the reason for the purchase - I was hoping to grow a large patch). The cloves didn't make it either under direct lighting or in present lower lighting, in area of higher flow or in present area of decreased/mild flow. I think I may have one polyp left. Oh well"¦"¦
There were also 2 VERY small green globs which the LFS owner said were probably a type of leather which was hitchhiking on the rubble. He stated he had these on a few other pieces he rec'd at the same time, but they all progressively shrunk and died off. He had this last piece in tank for approx 2 months before I purchased it. These are what I desire help in identifying.
As they grew, each of the individual polyps growing off the branches had definite visable central thin stalks with a mouths and frilly ends at the distal aspect of the eight tendrils. (So, its probably an octocoral). In its base/stalk, I believe I saw sclerites. (So, I'm thinking something in the leather family). As it grew and matured, it has almost no upwards growth to its branches (like a tree or finger coral would) but appears to be growing laterally. (Very obvious on the smaller piece). The branches all seem to be coming off the central base/stalk (rather than each other). Also, the polyps changed as it/they grew, and I no longer see the frilly ends coming off the distal tendrils. It has its bright neon green color in both daylight and under night actinincs. It retracts into a lump at night (showing it is sensitive to light). Over the eight months I've had them, they have increased in size 4-5x original size. It has been getting all its nourishment from either filter feeding or from photosynthesis (or both). I have not attempted to feed it directly. I can no longer see obvious sclerites in its flesh. (Doesn't mean they are not there). The shape reminds me somewhat of a carnation coral but those hate the light and need to be fed or they croke. My tank gets a fair amount of lighting. Whatever they are, they seem to be doing OK.
I've looked at Google images of soft corals/leathers/octocorals but can't find anything that looks like it/them. So"¦..what you think??????? (Informative link to your ID choice would be appreciated).
FYI"¦. tank is a weird one 36x24x24" -- was told it was 75 gal. (I like the height and depth!). I Have had it going for MANY years. (it was an African tank before I went salt over 10-15 years ago). Lots of rock. All my Fish and other corals seem to like it. Ph is about 8.2; sal is 1.025, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, about 5 for nitrates, trace amounts of phosphate (I'm now running GFO), Ca is about 800, Mg is 1400. My small power skimmer holds just under a cup and is emptied once per week of nasty brown/green yuk! (I run a more "œdry" than "œwet" effluent). Everything is covered in pink/red coralline algae. I have 2 LED fixtures "“ a 200w Chinese black box multi-spectrum unit and a 30w current marine - so tank should be getting more than enough par lighting to keep corals happy. (I plan on staying with softies and a few LPSs). Don't have a sump "“ use a large HO and an under-cabinet canister for filtration.

Attachments

• DSCN0683.JPG
    DSCN0683.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN0682.jpg
    DSCN0682.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 2
f/u to ID

f/u to ID

While it does resemble a Nepthea, don't they have more of a vertical growth pattern (similar to various tree corals)? These guys have almost no vertical growth -- as you can see, its lateral.

softie f/u

softie f/u

Yes i know the number seems high. I thought my API might be bad so LFS ckd it and got a similar #.
Possibly high as I have been using Lalkwasser paste to kill a whole bunch of Aptasia that simply "popped up" over past 3 weeks. However, I have never seen any warning about levels too high -- only too low. This could be reason for my excess coraline algae growth?!?
Back to my softies-- If Im correct nephea grow directly from their base but sinularia and/or dendronepthia growth off a central stalk. As pics show these definately grow from a central stalk.

Back