what type of water storage containers? trash cans?

otterpop510

hey everyone,

been crazy busy with reprioritizing the rest of my life, but hoping to get a bit of time in the near future to work on trying to automate more of my tank (a necessity right now for me to try to stay in the hobby).

so seems like a pretty simple question: wondering what people are using for storing water? i know i've seen some folks locally and online using big plastic garbage cans for water changes, ato, etc.

i'm hoping to get a couple ~40-50 gallon containers (one for ATO, other for salt water changes) and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on what types of containers to buy, where to buy, what others have done (i heard some people say any plastic trash can is fine, others talked about food grade containers, or particular brands that didn't crack, etc).

also, i know that people say that salt mix water should have a small pump going. is this also necessary for RODI water for ato?
thanks in advance for any advice.

dude rubbermaid is a standard when it comes to plastic trash bins, and no RO/DI water does not have to be circulated as far as i know.

Rubbermaid BRUTE is a 40g trash can, they sell the base w/wheels, and they are great!, extremely strong, I use one for my RO water, and i have a pump and heater runing there all the time, the water gets circulated, and the temp is like my tanks, so water changes are fast, i just add salt, let the pump mix it, and is ready, I installed a float, like the Coralife/Kent to my RO, so when I use water, it opens the autoshut off valve and top off my container, so next time I need salt water is ready...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10442512#post10442512 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmc74
Rubbermaid BRUTE is a 40g trash can, they sell the base w/wheels, and they are great!, extremely strong, I use one for my RO water, and i have a pump and heater runing there all the time, the water gets circulated, and the temp is like my tanks, so water changes are fast, i just add salt, let the pump mix it, and is ready, I installed a float, like the Coralife/Kent to my RO, so when I use water, it opens the autoshut off valve and top off my container, so next time I need salt water is ready...

Awsome water holder. Makes things alot easier when you want to move your water around.

I use the Rubbermaid Brute trash cans for water changes.

I fill up the lfs type five gallon water containers and let my top off do the work. The five gallon containers are hidden inside stands so as not to be a site for sore eyes

yeah, i've also been running ATO from 5 gallon container, but thinking i may try to run a line from my garage to free up more space under/around my tank.. guess i'll see what happens.. ;)

sounds like rubbermaid brute cans will work. cool, thanks everyone.. :D

You have to be careful in running an ato from a large container of ro/di. If the ato malfunctions you can potentially put in thirty or more gallons of ro/di (depends on size of container) into your tank.

I use the Brute's for on site SW mixing on most of my accounts, they rock, in fact I'm off to go use one now.

agreed raddogz regarding being careful with automating ATO. my setup has a few backup safeties for top off that (hopefully) should keep from having that happen..

Re: what type of water storage containers? trash cans?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10441285#post10441285 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by otterpop510
i'm hoping to get a couple ~40-50 gallon containers (one for ATO, other for salt water changes) and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on what types of containers to buy, where to buy, what others have done (i heard some people say any plastic trash can is fine, others talked about food grade containers, or particular brands that didn't crack, etc).

also, i know that people say that salt mix water should have a small pump going. is this also necessary for RODI water for ato?
thanks in advance for any advice.

Some plastic containers can leach and crack when exposed to salt water. Any food safe container will work. Food grade plastics are all marked with the NSF logo:

nsflogo-livesafer.gif

You can usually find this logo on the bottom of the can.

Brute trash cans are rated as food safe containers hence they are the favorite trash cans.

The Brute trash cans also come in smaller 18 or 20 gallon size as well.

looking around online for a bit, found them decently cheap but shipping is equal to the price of the can.. so off to hd i go i guess..

The cans are cheap, the rolling dollies are not. The dollies are roughly the cost of the can $30.00 - yikes!

yes, but home depot are stupid, I installed the rollers on mine so i didn't have to hold the container and the base, and home depot only charged the can.. he, he :p

no, im saying that they are too stupid sometimes... and i had several items, paint, cleaners, wood, and the trash can, and when I checked my receipt, I noticed that they didn't charged the base...

Back