What will happen when clams do not get enough light ?

boxerzz

As the topic says. I would like to know how the clams will react towards it. Any opinions please chip in

Tridacnids would waste away, but there are many types of clam that are not photosynthetic that would be unaffected.

They gradually lose their color, their flesh becomes thin, and after 6-7 months they curl up and die. I watched this by visiting my LFS every month and looking at their crocea clam kept in a Red Sea Max aquarium. It just underscores the point that if you don't have enought light, steer clear of trying to keep a clam.

They needs lots of intense lighting. My friend just lost all his clams including two huge ones because his metal halides failed for a few days and he was busy at work and didn't catch it in time. For myself , I lost my two and half year old crocea clam when my tank crashed taking most of my other corals as well.

i went away for about 4 days and for what ever reason i forgot to set my timers to auto so they only got VHO lighting for those 4 days its been about 2 weeks since then and i lost all 6 of my clams. so ya they die!

i went away for about 4 days and for what ever reason i forgot to set my timers to auto so they only got VHO lighting for those 4 days its been about 2 weeks since then and i lost all 6 of my clams. so ya they die!

That is very fast decline.

Well, actually, they turn into a mutant clam that will take over your whole tank because it will start feeding off other things because it doesn't have the correct lighting. Just kidding!! Clams usually die if they don't get enough lighting.

My clam ate my pink tail trigger when I turned my lights off for a few days for cyno. LOL

BTW the pink tale has been with three clams and cleaner shrimp for a long time. That is for a friend who said it can't be done. Knock on wood.

Back