what would cause mh bulb to be brighter than the other

cec09

I have a coralife aqualight lunar with 2x150watt mh and 2x65watt pc. One of the mh bulbs is brighter than the other. Bulbs are the same age, and ive switched the balasts back and forth and its still the same. Are there any other components that would cause the bulb to be morre dim despite the age?
Thanks
John

Two things come to mind for me.

One, perhaps you have a bad ballast on one of the bulbs which could concievably cause an under or over driven bulb.

Or two, which I think is more likely, is nipple orientation. I'm assuming these are double ended bulbs so you can just note which way the nipple is pointing (up or down) in the underperforming bulb and reinsert it to point the other way.

I know it seems weird that something as simple as that could cause this but there have been reports of that nipple orientation will not only affect brightness but sprectrum too.

thanks. I believe that is what it was. It was opposit the other one so i switched it and it seemed better. Ill know better tomorrow

Interesting...I never thought about nipple orientation....errrr used those words in the same sentence for that matter....is it brighter with the nip up or down?

Two things come to mind for me.

One, perhaps you have a bad ballast on one of the bulbs which could concievably cause an under or over driven bulb.

Or two, which I think is more likely, is nipple orientation. I'm assuming these are double ended bulbs so you can just note which way the nipple is pointing (up or down) in the underperforming bulb and reinsert it to point the other way.

I know it seems weird that something as simple as that could cause this but there have been reports of that nipple orientation will not only affect brightness but sprectrum too.
+1 had this happen with some new 20ks. One was blue th other was purple and dim. I flipped the bulb around and it was good.

Back