What would cause the death of a turbo snail?

Weboh

I have a turbo snails that's apparently dead. He's upside down and I'm pretty sure there's no snail in there. However, he's been that way for about two days and there's been no increase in ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. Maybe he just wasn't significant enough to increase the parameters?

All the other livestock seems perfectly fine. But since nothing appears to be wrong with my water, what would cause him to die? Old age? I don't think I have any predators in there that would eat snails. Plus, there's still plenty of algae to eat. I dunno. Do you think it's a big deal? (he's a huge turbo snail"”not one of those tiny ones, if that makes a difference).

Thanks.

I randomly lose snails, I think they are more sensitive than people think. Do you have many hermit crabs? They tend to prey on them.

I randomly lose snails, I think they are more sensitive than people think. Do you have many hermit crabs? They tend to prey on them.
Nope, no crabs at all. And only one the one turbo snail seems affected.
What size tank? They need a good amount of food to feed on. Also a well established tank.
30 gallons, but there's still plenty of algae in there that I can see.

Mexican turbo snails are often sold in stores and since they come from water cooler that what we keep our tropical aquariums at they do not live long. That may be what killed the snail, but they can die from a number of causes. Pull the snail shell out of the water, if it's dead you will know instantly, dead snails produce a strong pungent smell that you will never forget!

I had 2 that I bought fron an my lfs and were dead within 2 days; however I bought 7 before those from pacific aqua and all are thriving. Acclimated them properly from both places. Not sure what was up with the 2 from my lfs.

You might want to get yourself a long stick so that you can flip the snails over when this happens. Even though you don't have any crabs at the moment, a snail lying on it's back for 48 hours is just asking for trouble. At least help it out a little. ;)

Back