What would you do if this hobby was banned

spending my time voting the politicians out of office that did nothing to prevent such a ridiculous decision.

I turn my house into a fort. Put machine gun at all the door and window and keep all my corals clams and anemones

attachment.php

I would start a freshwater system, as either way (salt or fresh) I'm getting my 215 back. I had a beautiful Oceanic system back in 07-08 and sold it off because I thought I was being smart, but I regret it immensely despite never having had the opportunity to set it up since.

Which would become a minor side hobby to my flyfishing (flytying/ rodbuilding/ bamboo flyrod making) addiction. You think this reefkeeping is expensive...

We could create a last bastion of free reefers. Pool all our knowledge, resources, etc. and create a salty refuge for the zombie apocalypse!

Start a reefaholics anonymous group, then as it got larger show the government how much they could make off of the taxes of it, then they would pass a bill saying Health insurance companies would cover your 30 day stay, then the ins companies would start a war with the government cause they don't wanna pay for it, then the government would cave in, cause the ins companies essentially run this damn country, revert the bill they passed and reefing would be legal again :wildone:

If an animal makes it on the "Endangered Species List" that means ALL importation, trade, resale, etc. is against the law. Including any aquacultured or captive bred animals. No different than Manatees or Polar Bears. It would be illegal.

Correct. This issue is a good deal more serious than the light-heated discussion on the thread might indicate.

And there are implications with the recent listing of several acropora species that are quite different from species like polar bears, birds of prey and even certain coldwater fish species (like some of the native trout in the Western US).

The positive identification of Acropora species can be quite difficult, even for experienced individuals, and the penalties for shipping/selling/trading or possession of endangered species are very high. This means that collectors/distributors/resellers can't take a chance, and would have to pay for some very expensive identification services (possibly even to the extent of DNA tests) to deal in acropora. My guess is that most firms would simply choose not to deal in the genus at all.

Another even more serious issue is the petitioned listing of percula clownfish - a NOAA finding that amphiprion percula was endangered in its home range could mean that every designer clown based on this species, or the captive breeding of the wild-type, would be prohibited. The absurdity of wiping out the extensive aquaculture of this species based on the fishes' wild populations is hard to overstate, but that's the way the Endangered Species Act works.

What is considerably more troubling about this whole mess is that it isn't the "gov'mint" that's to blame. It's a very small group of radical individuals that are using the ESA and the taxpayer-funded NOAA in an attempt to accomplish what they know has no chance with the broader public and legislators - banning or sharply curtailing the practice of keeping fish in aquariums. I know that last sentence sounds like an extreme exaggeration, but it isn't - one of the more infamous individuals to espouse this view is "Snorkel Bob" (Rob Wintner). He refers to aquarium keeping as "The Dark Hobby" on this website.

Many thought-leaders in the aquarium hobby have suggested supporting PIJAC as a way to combat these fringe organizations. While I'm sure that the folks at PIJAC mean well, and science-based "fact" refutation would generally be preferred in a civilized society, this strategy may not be effective in this instance.

The simple problem is the way the law is structured - any group can petition NOAA for an ESA listing. And once the petition is submitted, NOAA must, by law, spend resources evaluating it. By the very nature of this process, there will be a tendency to "compromise", no matter how thorough a job PIJAC does at providing contravening evidence against listing aquatic species of interest to aquarists, when the actual appropriate course of action would be to reject the petitions in totem.

In my opinion, the best way to combat these groups would be hit them where it hurts - in the pocketbook. I'm no lawyer, but I'm thinking a SLAPP against the membership of Center for Biological Diversity and WildEarth Guardians would be an excellent start.

dKeller_NC, great detailed explanation. And SLAPPING usually gets someone's attention. Lol. I hope someone with greater means than myself can put something together to do just what you said... Slap these idiots around and ultimately put them down.

Someone should start a petition asking congress to exclude aquacultured corals and tank raised fish from endangered species in the wild as well as captive bred and raised animals .... I think enough hobbyists would sign that

Back