What would you do - repair or replace?

Bryan3536

I am brand new to hobby, just finished cycle and added two fish to my 180g. I love SPS, but realistically I see this being a fish/softy tank, as I just don't see myself committing to the added work required for SPS corals.

For lighting, I picked up an older, 72" Coralife Aqualite Pro MH/Compact Fluorescents/LED combo light more or less free (Guy I bought tank from threw it in). From what I've read, it was the state of the art a decade or so ago.

"œFREE" is relative, though - I need to replace all the bulbs (3 double ended MH's, and 4 compact fluorescents). In addition, 3 of the 4 CF ballasts need to be replaced - I'd likely just do all 4, which I estimate will cost another $120-160.

The light is impressive, I know it will light the tank well, and I see all the old school experienced guys saying on this board and others how much they like the MH/T5 combo over LEDs. I think a purist would tell me to keep the light.

-HOWEVER-

I have a hard time putting $$ into older technology; against my nature. It's also physically big - when I compare it to the used AI Prime I picked up for my fuge, which I can move around with ease, I see how it will be a chore in a year when the bulbs need replacing again, not to mention just hanging it and moving/working around it for daily maintenance. Guven I'm not 100% committed to doing SPS corals, I wonder if it is worth the added effort.

So what would you do? Put the money into this light because it's darn good enough, the investment is cheaper than a good new lighting system, and see where I am in a year, or try to sell it now and roll whatever I get into some used LEDs? If the latter, what should I do? Grab two more AI primes and something cheap for the fuge? 3 Kessil pendants? If you can't tell, I don't want to drop another $600-$1200 into lighting at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For 180g I don't think putting 3 primes is going to be enough. Look up chinese black boxes. Many have had success. That light is nice if you want to run the MH. If you are into DIY, you could remove the CF and replace with T5. Not sure how much room you would have to run the ballasts.

I gave it some thought and did the numbers - $480 to get this light "œperfect" (new bulbs, ballast) but I still won't know what heat and power draw issues it might create - just an unknown. I also don't think this will ever be an SPS tank. Finding some LEDs is the move for me, I will see if someone who wants to go back to MH is interested. Thanks, appreciate tour input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back