What would you like to see in a fish store??

If this could ever be possible:
I would ask the owner to try and get all fish captively raised. Whether the owner did it himself or elsewhere.

Captively raised = less fish we're taking from their natural habitat.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15164086#post15164086 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nauticac4
I couldn't agree more about the customer service aspect.

How about pricing? If PUMP A is $100 online and the store is charging say $120 are you going to pay the extra to a local store?

I would happily pay $120 for a $100 pump in order to buy it local, no problem.

The problem for me is when a LFS wants $220 for that $100 pump.

We all know the LFS has to make money to survive and for the most part reefers want a good LFS in their town...however, make some money but don't kill us on the prices. There is a really nice LFS not too far from where I live, guy brags about being in business for ~19 years....however, he's at a point where 9 out of 10 customers just come in, walk around and leave because he's so expensive....and if you're not buying items that are hundreds of dollars, he pays you no mind....He had a sale a few weeks ago, "buy 2, get 1 freee"...I heard him telling one of the workers "I've never done this in my 19 years, yet no body buying anything"...even at that deal his prices are still high...so just keep that in mind, loyal customers will come back but they are not stupid, they will compare prices online and at other LFSs. If you have a well kept place, I'm willing to pay a bit more for healthy corals and fish...but there is only so much more you can charge...don't go overboard.

Last edited:
I want a GOOD... UP TO DATE... well informed store... ANYWHERE in Canada!??!!?!

I mean, the closest LFS that actually has a good selection, and decent livestock carries GLO as 'Premium' lighting. The owner actually got offended when I told him I wanted better than 'GLO'... cuz that was the best he carries... sigh.

Like everyone above said. Friendly and informed staff, clean store and tanks. I cant say how many times i have walked into a store and saw the tanks a mess and floor dirty and walked out. Along with a nice selection of popular products. Maybe a nice selection of frags. In our area we dont see alot of decent priced frags.

A staff that can a least tell what kind of Tang is in their 300 gal plus DT. I asked but no one could tell me.

Oh yea... it's the only Tang in the tank.

There's a store in Oldsmar near here called Fish and Other Ichthy Stuff and I shop there exclusively because I feel they truly care about the animals and their customers. They are knowledgeable, they do not carry livestock that is unlikely to live or that is collected unethically or is from areas where poor collection practices are rampant, and they will not sell you something that is not suitable for your system. They also will educate you about care of a purchase before you make it. All fish are kept for a little bit to help ensure health and all corals are dipped, they will not sell you something that looks sick even though they do encourage QT for everything. They do not sell anything that is not proven to work or is junk, no snake oil treatments and no skilters. Their prices are very reasonable and there is a good variety of the things you need. The store and tanks are very clean. They support the local reef club and encourage responsible reefing. They also know regular customers by name and I know personally of the owner doing things for customers that no other LFS owner would do such as coming to a customer's house to fix a pump. When I was a newbie, before I knew what to look for, I bought stuff all over and of course, some of my fish got sick. I was about ready to give up the hobby. The owner GAVE me some meds to treat all my fish along with exact instructions on how to use it. I feel very fortunate to have a store like this to go to and I think alot of other LFS could learn alot from them.

Lately, every LFS that I have been to has to few frags and an over abundance of cyano, HA and dinoflagellates. So, I guess I would like to see better overall care for the water quality, live stock and care for the customers that may unknowingly purchase rock or coral from these tanks and then spread the bloom/infestation to their tanks. A lack of concern in this area can cause the consumer more money and time in an already expensive, time consuming hobby as well as cost the LFS customers that know better.

Even more than customer service I appreciate a store that is actively working to lessen this hobbie's impact on the environment.

I want to see a store that frags and produces their own corals or buys aquacultures corals and fish. I want to see a store that doesn't just order 10 fish because they know 6 will die from poor care. I want a store that never, ever EVER stocks things like Remoras (Ive seen it, three in a 75 gall tank:sad2:)
Flounders
Flame Scallops
All these destructive business practices are reprehensible and much more important to focus on than the human interactions.

That said, I am sick of stupid employees too.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15166643#post15166643 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kdocimo90
Naked women :D

Best Idea yet. Maybe more Hooters meets Live Aquaria so its family friendly.;)

Temperate stock! How difficult is it to get some temperate species in its own system. I know they sell Garabaldi's and Catalina Gobies, but they sell them in tropical tanks. I run a local species temperate, but if I had the opportunity I would be running a large chiller with West coast/South Australia species as well.

Also, I would like to see a large selection of macros in a store. Usually all you see is cheato and/or caulerpa. What about the many other species. I've never seen a shaving brush in an LFS, or Ulva, Gracilaria...they just dont seem to carry them. I have a feeling if a store carried such products, people would see what they can do with them and would start buying them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15165888#post15165888 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LauraCline
There's a store in Oldsmar near here called Fish and Other Ichthy Stuff and I shop there exclusively because I feel they truly care about the animals and their customers. They are knowledgeable, they do not carry livestock that is unlikely to live or that is collected unethically or is from areas where poor collection practices are rampant, and they will not sell you something that is not suitable for your system. They also will educate you about care of a purchase before you make it. All fish are kept for a little bit to help ensure health and all corals are dipped, they will not sell you something that looks sick even though they do encourage QT for everything. They do not sell anything that is not proven to work or is junk, no snake oil treatments and no skilters. Their prices are very reasonable and there is a good variety of the things you need. The store and tanks are very clean. They support the local reef club and encourage responsible reefing. They also know regular customers by name and I know personally of the owner doing things for customers that no other LFS owner would do such as coming to a customer's house to fix a pump. When I was a newbie, before I knew what to look for, I bought stuff all over and of course, some of my fish got sick. I was about ready to give up the hobby. The owner GAVE me some meds to treat all my fish along with exact instructions on how to use it. I feel very fortunate to have a store like this to go to and I think alot of other LFS could learn alot from them.

And they make kick *** skimmers!!!

What I want is relatively simple, but I don't think I've ever found it. I want a knowledgeable staff, but I'm not a noob. So I just need them to have a good idea of their livestock. I don't need a ton of help, but when I want to buy a fish....please have someone around that can do it for me. I hate waiting 20 mins to get a fish.

Livestock.....ummmmm, fish? Most stores now a days seem to carry lots of coral but not enough fish. I think it's because they make a killing off of coral. But you know, sometimes I want to buy a fish. Also, don't have run of the mill fish please. There is a store by me that carries some nice fish that you don't see every day(blotched anthias, blue spot jawfish, helfriechi's, etc), but they lack in other areas. As far as corals go, I don't need a ton of selection. But how about like 3 dedicated coral tanks? And by the way LFS owners, I HATE those shallow tanks. I don't view my corals from above, so I don't want to buy them from a shallow tank. I'd love a store that just had 3-4 long tanks with egg crate stands. And finally, a good selection at a good price. I used to have another store that would sell $10-30 frags of GREAT corals. I want frags dang it! I've gotten 6 polyp purple deaths for $40. Can't beat that.....sadly they are no longer.

Dry goods.....don't carry crap. Is that so hard? Nothing Coralife. No Kent junk. Carry better brands. I'd buy locally but most of my local stores aren't even close on price(another issue) and carry junk brands. I order most of my drygoods online. Oh well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15169741#post15169741 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Milhouse
And they make kick *** skimmers!!!

What I want is relatively simple, but I don't think I've ever found it. I want a knowledgeable staff, but I'm not a noob. So I just need them to have a good idea of their livestock. I don't need a ton of help, but when I want to buy a fish....please have someone around that can do it for me. I hate waiting 20 mins to get a fish.

Livestock.....ummmmm, fish? Most stores now a days seem to carry lots of coral but not enough fish. I think it's because they make a killing off of coral. But you know, sometimes I want to buy a fish. Also, don't have run of the mill fish please. There is a store by me that carries some nice fish that you don't see every day(blotched anthias, blue spot jawfish, helfriechi's, etc), but they lack in other areas. As far as corals go, I don't need a ton of selection. But how about like 3 dedicated coral tanks? And by the way LFS owners, I HATE those shallow tanks. I don't view my corals from above, so I don't want to buy them from a shallow tank. I'd love a store that just had 3-4 long tanks with egg crate stands. And finally, a good selection at a good price. I used to have another store that would sell $10-30 frags of GREAT corals. I want frags dang it! I've gotten 6 polyp purple deaths for $40. Can't beat that.....sadly they are no longer.

Dry goods.....don't carry crap. Is that so hard? Nothing Coralife. No Kent junk. Carry better brands. I'd buy locally but most of my local stores aren't even close on price(another issue) and carry junk brands. I order most of my drygoods online. Oh well.

Reverend :beer: :beer:

I think the cheap small frags is great. I buy a $10 small SPS frag EVERY time I go into my LFS, why... bc they are cheap why not keep my frag rack full :)

Also impressive high tech display tanks, I like to see the owners care about the hobby and enjoy it too.

Another big thing is the store must be clean, and neat. No old crap just sitting out or dry goods unorganized. I like to feel like i'm in a nice joint when im buying my stuff.

No algae in display tanks, none. its totally unacceptable, I see it as they dont care enough about their business to keep things nice looking.

Lastly a good used section. I go to LFS's with good used sections just because its fun to look through the crap :) and I always leave with something...

My LFS is great, especially for Lubbock TX :/

Back