What's going on with my green chromis

Rob6311

Ok so I got 3 green chromises a week ago and I've noticed that when I turn the light off then on again one of them looks really dark and it looks like it has a bunch of scales missing but then eventually goes back to normal should I be concerned?

Every one I've ever had looks like that at dusk - not sure if it's their way of camouflage or not, but if it's only one of them it might be the one that gets beat up. Chromis have a tendency to eliminate each other until there's only one left.

I have seen that on a number of different species.
Happens every day with my Wrasse and peppermint shrimp.

Every one I've ever had looks like that at dusk - not sure if it's their way of camouflage or not, but if it's only one of them it might be the one that gets beat up. Chromis have a tendency to eliminate each other until there's only one left.

This.

Ok so I got 3 green chromises a week ago and I've noticed that when I turn the light off then on again one of them looks really dark and it looks like it has a bunch of scales missing but then eventually goes back to normal should I be concerned?

A lot of fish shows signs of discoloration after being stressed. The quick light change may just freak them out a bit. My yellow tang, chromis, and hippo tang all do the same thing at night when I shine a flashlight in. If they look healthy in normal light, you're probably good.

Damsels and Chromis both exhibit this behavior. The darkening is camoflage, they do it when sleeping and when trying to hide from aggression.

Back