What's Going On?

mluntz

Friday I started running a phosphate reactor because I was having an issue with either diatom or cyano. I also ditched my canister filter. Previously to the reactor I started running Phosban in my canister until the reactor arrived. I am once again seeing a bloom, mainly on the sand bed. There is no noticeable bloom on the rocks or the glass at this time.

Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
PH- 8.0-8.2

A few weeks ago I installed a new LED lighting system, which at the current time is on a 12 hour cycle, sunrise to sunset, which seemed to accelerate the issue. I'm wondering if the lights are the culprit here, and if so, I need some suggestions as far as that goes.

I basically have no corals in the tank yet, just one torch coral and a small Kenya tree.

Your expertise would be most appreciated. Sorry, my camera isn't the greatest.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 0
Friday I started running a phosphate reactor because I was having an issue with either diatom or cyano. I also ditched my canister filter. Previously to the reactor I started running Phosban in my canister until the reactor arrived. I am once again seeing a bloom, mainly on the sand bed. There is no noticeable bloom on the rocks or the glass at this time.

Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
PH- 8.0-8.2

A few weeks ago I installed a new LED lighting system, which at the current time is on a 12 hour cycle, sunrise to sunset, which seemed to accelerate the issue. I'm wondering if the lights are the culprit here, and if so, I need some suggestions as far as that goes.

I basically have no corals in the tank yet, just one torch coral and a small Kenya tree.

Your expertise would be most appreciated. Sorry, my camera isn't the greatest.

All new tanks (assuming it is a new tank) will go through algae outbreaks as it matures over the next 6 months to a year. Some things can accelerate or exaggerate it though. You are correct in thinking that your lights may be the issue and good job removing that canister filter as they tend to just become a nitrate factory, fueling your algae even more. I don't think it is necessary to run your lights for as long as you do. You only need about 4-5 hours of full blown daytime lights a day on the tank. 12 hours straight, if I interpreted that correctly, is too much for any tank, especially if you only have one coral.

You can cut your light time down as well as lessen your feeding habits to ensure over feeding isn't the culprit either.

Also, how is the flow in the tank? Lack of flow can allow algae to settle in some areas. When you feed, does any food settle on the sandbed in any area of the tank?

There is no way to really prevent these algae outbreaks as they are expected in a new tank as it matures. Most will come and go on their own actually.

all new tanks (assuming it is a new tank) will go through algae outbreaks as it matures over the next 6 months to a year. Some things can accelerate or exaggerate it though. You are correct in thinking that your lights may be the issue and good job removing that canister filter as they tend to just become a nitrate factory, fueling your algae even more. I don't think it is necessary to run your lights for as long as you do. You only need about 4-5 hours of full blown daytime lights a day on the tank. 12 hours straight, if i interpreted that correctly, is too much for any tank, especially if you only have one coral.

You can cut your light time down as well as lessen your feeding habits to ensure over feeding isn't the culprit either.

Also, how is the flow in the tank? Lack of flow can allow algae to settle in some areas. When you feed, does any food settle on the sandbed in any area of the tank?

There is no way to really prevent these algae outbreaks as they are expected in a new tank as it matures. Most will come and go on their own actually.

+1

For flow I am running 2 Hydor Koralia 1150gph pumps with the smartwave wavemaker. I only feed once a day and the fish seem to eat it all before any food settles. The lights are set on a 12 hour sunrise/sunset schedule starting with moonlight, ramp up during the day, and then ramp down to moonlight at night. They are not on full blown for 12 hours, maybe 5 or 6.

I had a serious problem with algae and cyano in a system the I picked up pre-owned. The filtration was the likely culprit, and things cleared up once I got that straightened out. Took a few weeks though... Have you checked the phosphates?

Hi there
One of the main causes of canyo is not enough circulation you might have enough circulation power but maybe they need to be reposition to make sure you got no Dead spots

I had a serious problem with algae and cyano in a system the I picked up pre-owned. The filtration was the likely culprit, and things cleared up once I got that straightened out. Took a few weeks though... Have you checked the phosphates?

Right now I have no way to do that, but I am running a reactor.

Hi there
One of the main causes of canyo is not enough circulation you might have enough circulation power but maybe they need to be reposition to make sure you got no Dead spots

I am going to try to move the powerheads around and use my smartwave to create some random flow, but if I aim the powerheads too close to the sand, it blows it all over the place.

When i went to leds i had to cut my lights time a few hours and i went and got more circulation fans because i had one at the top moving the surface water but the middle /bottom level was collecting alot of dirty stuff

When i went to leds i had to cut my lights time a few hours and i went and got more circulation fans because i had one at the top moving the surface water but the middle /bottom level was collecting alot of dirty stuff

I didn't realize these lights were going to be such a PITA! I guess all I can do is play with the lights and keep up with my weekly water changes. Should I siphon the sand bed when I do my water changes or let this thing run it's course?

mby if u provide at least a little info about your system...
for example age, how much carbon you dosing (NO3 0 with fishes without corals... )
it is true that lights help any photosynthetic organisms, so also algae, diatom, cyano etc..
but still 1st there must be some food source for them
for example some ppl reported that they got outbreaks as a reaction on high vodka dosing
or leaching from any foreign object not suitable for saltwater etc...

still most common reason is finished basic nitrification process in young tanks with LR in system.

Back